lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Wax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Quick battery questions, even after reading stickys

Ok I read the stickys, but I just want to verify a few things. I have 6 8V Crown batteries in case that matters for any of my questions.

I checked and it looks like the water level is below the plates in some of the cells. Should I fully charge it first now, and then replenish the water? Or should I put in water just covering the plates and then fully charge? I was a little confused reading about this. If I do the latter, do I then fill up further to about 1/2" above the plates after it's fully charged?

Second, I'm in Michigan and it's winter, so I'm assuming this is common...but it looks like there is ice between the plates, especially in the cells that were low. Is this normal?

Lastly...all of the sudden today it seems that my cart was having trouble going uphill. I normally don't have this issue. Flat ground and plowing it seemed fine. Would this possibly be caused by the low water in the batteries or caused by the cold? Or might I have another issue?

Thanks
Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Quick battery questions, even after reading stickys

water just covering the plates and then fully charge
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Wax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf35099 View Post
water just covering the plates and then fully charge
Thank you, that's what I thought after reading the sticky info. Wanted to verify since I'm completely new to this stuff. Then do I add more water though once fully charged, like about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above plates?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Wax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well, I filled all cells above plates with distilled water, now it's charging.

After looking at the plates again...I don't think it's ice, rather some sort of buildup. It looks as though this has somewhat deformed some of the plates. Is this common, or do I need to do something about this?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, hopefully one of the experts will chime in with some advice. But what I have learned from the gang here is to just do proper maintenance on the batteries. Keep all connections clean, water level correct, and use the charger to keep the batteries charged properly. I have a Delta Q on-board charger on my 91' DS and it takes care of the batteries really well. I installed new Trojan batteries ~May 2010. They still look great and almost new.
I just picked up a (new to me) 2002 DS (with new batteries) and it uses the Clubcar charger.

If I understand it correctly, the chargers have an overcharging that they do towards the end of the charge to bake and clean the plates. Not sure if the stuff gets burned to the point of dissipation or if it falls to the bottom..

Either way, once the batteries have been charged fully and the chargers turn off, I then fill the batteries. If you fill them too full before the charge, they will most likely spill the fluid out as they boil.

Hope that helps.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wax View Post
Well, I filled all cells above plates with distilled water, now it's charging.

After looking at the plates again...I don't think it's ice, rather some sort of buildup. It looks as though this has somewhat deformed some of the plates. Is this common, or do I need to do something about this?
The buildup on the plates is called sulfate, and it happens over time with batteries. There is not much you can do about it. The more buildup there is, the more the battery's performance will decrease. Before charging, make sure the water just covers the plates, then after charging, make sure the water is 1/4" below the bottoms of the fill wells.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Cony
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I Have Read that a Desulphator can remove the sulphates, it pulses the Lead acid batteries with a specific frequency that removes the sulphates. There is a 48 volt one on eBay right now for $139.95. I plan to purchase one in a few Months I will let the forum know how it works. It is a Legit way of removing the Sulphates
Cony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cony View Post
I Have Read that a Desulphator can remove the sulphates, it pulses the Lead acid batteries with a specific frequency that removes the sulphates. There is a 48 volt one on eBay right now for $139.95. I plan to purchase one in a few Months I will let the forum know how it works. It is a Legit way of removing the Sulphates
If sulfated plates plates could be cleaned pigs would fly and none of us would ever by new batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If sulfated plates plates could be cleaned pigs would fly and none of us would ever by new batteries.
+1
I considered buying a BLS Battery saver, and after a little research, decided it would not be worth it!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Wax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info. Is there anything special to know about using electric carts in cold weather?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car