lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 420cc Predator 4 stroke 13 hp

Harbor Freight has this engine for sale. Relatively cheap. Has anybody ever heard of this engine? I am considering to buy one but my concern is if my EZGO stock clutch will fit without any modification. The shaft size is 1" dia.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
BoostedOne
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Cpp sells an adapter. The stock clutch is tapered and its larger than the 1" shaft. The adapter is like 45$.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk
BoostedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 420cc Predator 4 stroke 13 hp

Far as I know they are the same or similar to other clones, but the 420cc is typically called 16 or 15hp. HF is switching to a new black clone instead of the blue, I've only heard the smaller versions are different cc. The 420cc is a bored and stroked 390cc, which is a copy of the old model honda GX390 and most parts interchange. Honda is coming out with new engines that are different, the twin has integral cylinder/heads, the heads don't come off. The 420 can usually be found at places for about 300 for electric start models, like maxtool. The black HF could be different, but does not look like it. They are listing different smaller engines like 7hp instead of 6.5, or whatever it was, the cc are larger than they used to be. The gokart racers were all upset about it because they have race classes based on them and use the 6.5hp the most.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. Very helpful info.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The 16hp feels like twice the power in a G9, it will spin 22s up hills like nothing with all stock clutches even stock gen on it. It blows a stock cart off the road, or trail as it may be. Both with no governor the top speed is about the same, but the clone gets there way faster, actually can set you back in the seat a little. People say the 13hp is nearly the same, but only one guy on here had both but in same cart so no direct comparison. I wanted max torque for climbing and towing, going 16hp like I did the first cart. Some say the 13hp (390cc) will rev 500rms higher.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome. Thanks. Duromax, is it?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The one I put in was from carolstream but duromax is cheaper right now. Home depot had them last winter too but then ran out.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
j_warren
Not Yet Wild

I'd really like to see some pics of this installation! Considering all my options before going the re-manufactured route.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...nia-69464.html
j_warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm doing my cart right now its just taking forever with my hours at work this summer.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...-clone-bb.html

I did another one a while back. There are photos in there someplace, the pic site went out of biz and I had to post them later on.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-thread-3.html

In the G9 the carb is right near the rear shock have to watch out for that. The cart runs great except the carb misses sometimes at about 10mph steady and I can't seem to jet it out. I want to make an intake and put a better carb on, I see a lot of lawn based stuff does this.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
experience rc
Not Yet Wild

I recently swapped out the old stock motor from my G9 Limo to the Predator 420. The swap took less than a week with a few hours a day. I used the cart's stock linkages, but used the predator's fuel tank, and exhaust. I only built a custom motor mount similar to sho305's. I have a 6" lift kit on my cart, and the only thing I had to do was make a vented gas cap for the stock predator gas tank. I was able to use the starter generator off the original motor and the foot pedal start still works great. It doesn't behave any differently for starting or stopping than my original motor. The cart has a top speed of 32mph, and carries 6 200lb + guys around at a sustained 27mph with very little effort leaving from the line. I read the swap threads on this forum and found tons of good advice. For the low price of the Predator, you would be hard pressed to find a low cost alternative for ease of use and performance. I got the adapter from CPP, and used the stock clutch and original belt. I had so much fun doing the conversion, I wish I had another cart to build. Maybe this winter i can find a new project?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpfun.jpg (204.0 KB, 0 views)
experience rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!