lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
TWarnock
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 ST-480 EZ-GO - Engine Swap or Rebuild (16hp V-twin) ?

I've got an ST-480 (1994) in excellent shape EXCEPT the engine's damaged. (I'm not an engine guy, so it's at the shop getting a professional opinion. However, I did troubleshoot enough to determine that 3 of the 4 valves are not lifting.) Nothing obvious through the wall of the block (and still have oil in the engine.)

Side note: Kids were riding the cart. Said it made a pop and then quit. Inspection revealed a destroyed started solenoid (the post on the solenoid to the starter/generator was melted out of the solenoid housing.) I replaced the solenoid, and everything worked fine except the engine wouldn't start. Spark and fuel okay. Troubleshooting led me to remove the valve covers and - when I turn the engine over - only one valve lifts.

Question(s): Is it worth a rebuild of the engine (assuming it's just a camshaft or something simple?) Or should I simply replace the engine? It's a 14hp B&S Vanguard V-twin. Looks like a direct replacement is about $1400. What about an engine swap? How big of a deal is a different engine (without the tapered shaft) - do I simply swap the clutch? What about B&S .vs. a Honda engine? Seems there are WIDELY differing opinions. I'm up for a project - especially if it saves me $1400, but I'm not much for having to do a LOT of engineering to make it work.

I'd welcome suggestions, opinions, sources (for motors that are new/cheap :-), etc.

Thanks!
TWarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
TWarnock
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1994 ST-480 EZ-GO - Engine Swap or Rebuild (16hp V-twin) ?

Answering my own question... Engine was toast. Guide rods dropped, which destroyed the cam shaft, scored the crankshaft, cracked the cylinder skirt at the bottom and broke a connecting rod.

Decided on a replacement engine - Briggs 16hp Vanguard V-twin. $1300 +/- from MowPart.Com.

Plan is to replace it stock - no mods. I'll update as I go.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWarnock View Post
Answering my own question... Engine was toast. Guide rods dropped, which destroyed the cam shaft, scored the crankshaft, cracked the cylinder skirt at the bottom and broke a connecting rod.

Decided on a replacement engine - Briggs 16hp Vanguard V-twin. $1300 +/- from MowPart.Com.

Plan is to replace it stock - no mods. I'll update as I go.
Over-revved then ? Kids'll do that

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
TWarnock
Not Yet Wild

Yep - thanks to the kids! Told them $1300 is a LOT of cutting the grass to pay that back!

Do I need to be concerned about over-revving going forward if I leave the governor in place? (I was missing on the previous engine....)

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
richie
ZZGONE

E-Z-GO

here are pics of our workhorse 350 with a 16 v-twin.I made my own cradle.It has been sitting neglected for a while.Getting ready to get her back into shape.No governor on motor or trans.Still have to tear them down later and remove the parts from the cases.I've hit 30 on it

I'M A DORK....I SEE YOU ALREADY HAVE A 16 HP V TWIN (WH-480). I FORGOT THOSE CAME WITH BRIGGS....SORRY FOR THE MEANINGLESS POST
richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
wasscallyWabbit
Not Yet Wild

I'm new the forum , I just picked up a Jacobson Hauler 1110 , Question for Richie , Twarnock and any one else that can Help me. I need help Please, I just picked up a 16hp Vanguard today , 1" straight shaft, 1/4" key way to put in my jacobson. I'm new to Carting too. What did you use for the clutch"s on the motor and trans and what is the manufactorer of the belt and the belt number for the belt that you have on there . My robins motor didint come with a clutch on the motor or the belts. ont even know if it runs, so I'm starting fresh. I have a lift on it with 24"x9x11 tires on it

Thanks Randy
wasscallyWabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

wascallywabbit, you might start a new thread and post your question there. If you have any pictures they would also be helpful. I'm not much help with your question but if you start a new thread I'm pretty sure someone will be along that can give you a lot of help.
hilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
wasscallyWabbit
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Hilla , I'll do that
wasscallyWabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
keithnra
Not Yet Wild

do u have any kinda plans for how u made ur cradle and mount fot the engine
keithnra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!