lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Rock
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Finally bit the bullet

After lots of back and forth due to these troubled times I finally bit the bullet and bought an Alltrax 400A DCX for my 36V 2000 ez-go PDS. Hats off to Erik at Radical for putting up with me through this decision. He has been great to work with. Thanks Erik. Hopefully it will be in sometime next week. This got me to thinking, now that I have bought the controller, am I going to have to upgrade my stock solenoid and FnR switch? This is not an expense that I anticipated. Will the stock components hold up for a while or is it a roll of the dice? Although the new controller is not huge, it's still more amps than stock.....I have already upgraded all cables to 4 ga on batteries, to the controller, and to the motor. Thanks in advance for your help.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Finally bit the bullet

Solenoid would be a good idea, but you can do it when/if the current one fails.

F/R is a non issue on a PDS cart as the controller handles this internally.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Rock
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

That sounds like good news....that neither should be an immediate expense. If I were going to upgrade the solenoid, which one would be suggested and do the standard auto parts stores carry such a thing or is it a speciatly item for a cart? I've seen them anywhere from $17 to $150+.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I would use a White Rogers 586 HD solenoid. You will never burn this up unless you overvolt it. I am running a 48volt version on my cart. It is 3 times as heavy as the stock unit and engages with a nice "thunk".
Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Rock
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay, I have researched the White Rogers 586 and see them ranging from $65 to $100. Let me ask a stupid question....are these essentially just "starter solenoids" that you can buy from any Auto Parts store?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

No sir, because of the voltage ratings. An automotive solenoid only sees 12v on it's coil and it's contacts. Golf cart solenoids see 36v or more on each depending on the system voltage. You need a solenoid that is rated for both the voltage AND current your application demands. Also, a golf cart solenoid falls under the continuous duty category.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Rock
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

10-4 thanks Gorno...I told you it was a stupid question.
I just dont want to be shut down for any amount of time awaiting the delivery of a special order solenoid when mine goes out if I could buy one right in town. I guess the only way to avoid this is to order a White Rogers 586 and have it ready to install. Does the 586 require any special capacitors or such or does it use the same wiring that my stock solenoid uses?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The diode and resistor are determined by the controller's needs. The solenoid is plug and play with your existing system. Your environmental cover may not fit over the WR 586 unit.

There are no stupid questions unless you should know better, and you don't, so ask away!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Rock
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh man I am extatic.......my 400 DCX just arrived. I know what I will be doing this afternoon. Any pointers before I tear/blow anything up. Thanks again Erik for all of your help with this. Radical Golf Carts are Great to deal with!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Jibba
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Use a 250 amp fuse between power and controller !!!!!!
Jibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO