lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Rear Axel question

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I am looking at two HD chassis, three wheel. I am moving the guts of my DS 48v over to the other frame and planed on putting the HD rear on the DS chassis and maybe cut it down and make a trailer out of it. The DS works fine, but I'm bored and decided on another project. Since the DS rear is connected via leaf springs and the HD is not, I'm just examining the idea that I may be doing a bit of welding to do the switch. While I am at it, I have decided to explore the idea of converting to lithium, since my wife's batteries are getting a bit weak. She uses hers almost every day, so it gets a lot of charging. She does not check the water level in the batteries so that job is mine, whether I like it or not. Lithium would definitely eliminate worrying about water in the cells.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

MDLNB, now I'm even more confused.

Are you putting a CC rear end/motor in a HD?

Or are you putting a HD motor/rear in a CC?

As far as lithium, trailers etc. let's get the first thing sorted out first.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
MDLNB, now I'm even more confused.

Are you putting a CC rear end/motor in a HD?

Or are you putting a HD motor/rear in a CC?

As far as lithium, trailers etc. let's get the first thing sorted out first.
Sorry for the confusion.

I am planning on moving my DS rear end and guts over to the 3 wheel Harley chassis. The 3 wheel is my next project. SECOND: I plan to cut the DS chassis down and make a trailer out of it, so I am going to use the old Harley rear for it. The Harley rear has no brake system other than that on the electric motor (which is dead) and I won't need it for a trailer.

So, I guess you would say that I have two projects. And the reason that I mentioned the Lithium batteries, was because both my DS and my wife's Yamaha have five year old batteries which are rapidly moving toward their twilight. That subject will go to another thread. For space and weight saving, I am thinking of picking up a salvaged electric car battery pack. The way the Trojan prices seem to be going up around here, I think I can save some money on the lithium batteries. Not to mention the lower maintenance required.

I apologize for the confusion, and don't blame you if you wish to ignore my question.

I think that the question I was asking was regarding the idea of mounting the two rears on frames that are not made for those axles. It I would have been clear, this thread would have been short. Again, I apologize.

By the way, my wife is irritated with me for wanting to tear up my "rat rod" CC DS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0508191112.jpg (146.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0508191112a.jpg (129.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

No, no just trying to help. I have a HD as shown in the photo. I'll look at it when I get home and tell you what I think about doing that swap. Glad to help you with it if I can.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

MDLNB. I just noticed you are in TV Florida. So even before I comment about how to do the swap I'll say that before I butchered that nice DS, I would simply find a Club Car rear end and motor. There must be lots and lots of them near you as I know there are thousands and thousands of carts in your area.

Just trying to help, but I gotta vote with the wife on this one.

Edit: I just looked on Ocala Craigslist. There's a whole decent looking DS in Lakeland without batteries for $175.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #16
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
MDLNB. I just noticed you are in TV Florida. So even before I comment about how to do the swap I'll say that before I butchered that nice DS, I would simply find a Club Car rear end and motor. There must be lots and lots of them near you as I know there are thousands and thousands of carts in your area.

Just trying to help, but I gotta vote with the wife on this one.

Edit: I just looked on Ocala Craigslist. There's a whole decent looking DS in Lakeland without batteries for $175.
You have a great point, that I have also considered....BUT....living here I have downsized and no longer have the space to work and store my projects. If I keep this one, as well as her's, I would have to move my Harley Davidson Softail to make room for any more stuff. Guess I will have to think on this a bit more. Meanwhile, I am still interested in attaching a DS rear end that has leaf springs to a harley chassis that has coil springs. I am thinking that I will need to weld a couple of plates on the axle tube, drill holes in them and mount "U" bolts to the chassis and through the new bracket. Just kicking around that thought as a possible method.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Rained here yesterday. I'll go out in a bit and look at the one I have.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I looked at mine. Looks like the swingarm pivots near the front of the cart. I would think if you could mount the leaf springs to that it would be the best option for what you want to do. You could then U bolt the rear/motor to that.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #19
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I looked at mine. Looks like the swingarm pivots near the front of the cart. I would think if you could mount the leaf springs to that it would be the best option for what you want to do. You could then U bolt the rear/motor to that.
Thank you. The swing arm, as I see it is attached toward the front/midsection of the main chassis. In the rear, it is attached by coil springs and a single shock absorber. I am hoping to attach the rear end from the CC DS like or similar to how the original rear end/axle is attached. I don't have it on location at my residence yet, and I failed to get photos of it when I was checking it out in the golf cart junk yard. My bad, but I did not consider this project at the time. I am planning it out FIRST before committing to the project.

Thanks for responding.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car