lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
u13
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G2E - Conversion / Shopping Thread

I'm new to the party, just got a Yamaha G2E last night. The lead batteries seem to be in good shape, but the power loss on hills makes me want to dive right into new controllers/lithium. Browsing various threads, but I'm not seeing a simple 'shopping list' for a conversion.

My end game is a cart that has decent torque for a little off roading, but longer distances between charge. Speed isn't so important to me, 20mph+ would be fine.

So far, it looks like I'll be needing:
1) electronic speed controls (Pkg C54U from CartsUnlimited) -- Does this work with Lithium kits?
2) SW202 (CartsUnlimited)
3) 400 Super Duty Solenoid (CartsUnlimited)

I believe these will work with the stock setup/motor while ordering/setting up the lithium battery pack and BMS. Would that assumption be correct?
u13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2E - Conversion / Shopping Thread

You can easily meet your goals without going to lithium right now. Do the controller conversion you mentioned first. Then start shopping for a 36v club car "series type" motor that meets your speed desires, they bolt right up to your axle, and are easier to shop for. Don't aim too high when motor shopping for a speedier motor, look for one just around 20mph. I'll explain why- when you are shopping for speed, you generally be trading away some torque. Since your stock motor was designed for 12mph, was a dog in the first place, and it's 30 years old, it should be ruled out for this build. So, you got yourself a motor that performs better, and still at 36v, right? Here's the good part, 36v series motors make 33% more speed and torque when fed 48v (pretty much every 36v series motor does just fine on 48v). You still feel the need for extra power, now think about increasing the voltage (with lead batteries or lithium batteries). Motors and your chosen controller don't care what chemistry battery supplies the voltage, as long as it's in an acceptable range that isn't too high for the controller & won't cause too high rpms in the motor. Your chosen controller has a Max voltage limit of 62v, so selecting batteries around 52v or less will be good. Don't try to push it right to 62v, in the real world a 48v lead battery set sits at around 51v when fully charged (similar rules apply with a lithium pack).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2E - Conversion / Shopping Thread

Im coming from a Yamaha gasser, but then bought a G2E. Nice little cart, but the hills and slopes around my place were a deal breaker.

I tried a RXV 48V. Night and day difference, LOVE IT!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1qETHdaS5KIRz+vkcBN7A.jpg (190.6 KB, 0 views)
raggdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!