lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
asquarecan
Not Yet Wild

Default what motor?

Hey guys,

I just got a cart this morning and I dont know what year it is and it doesnt run.

Here are a few pictures if anyone has any ideas.

It does not run and I do not know what I am missing! I am a little over my head since i have never worked on a cart or an electric engine.

I would like to be able to do at least 20 MPH. It is going to be a custom show cart (hard to tell, huh? ) it is going to stripped to the frame painted custom suspension, bags, custom audio and a custom fiberglass body. So I am going to be lowering but other then that I cant see anything else limiting my motor.

I just need some advice on where i can get a used motor from or a new one. I dont know what volt my cart is. I dont care I just know how ever many batteries my cart takes i need another 2 for my stereo. I am not going to drive it very long at a time just around shows but never more then 30 mins at a time.

I dont want to spend tons on the engine but I need to get something lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Keith
asquarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: what motor?

Honestly. I'm gonna give it to you straight

YOU GOT THE WRONG CART Sell it and find a late model Ezgo to build you show piece from ..... Really the melex is 30 plus years old parts etc are not available stop now. I sure hope you hear what I am saying I am only trying to help and yes I have had one or two of those
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Big Block 69'
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

If you do end up using this cart you need to replace the resistors. Because they are not made for easing around at shows and will get fryed if you go very slow for long periods of time.
Big Block 69' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
asquarecan
Not Yet Wild

Well that really sucks!

I found a motor for it, but I am not sure what else I need. Oh well I guess I will put it back up for what I got into it and wait a few months until I can afford to buy a better cart.

Before I do this again what is a good cart to work on and what is a decent price for one?

Thanks
Keith
Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
bioniccartsandcustoms
Runnin' with Scissors

Club Car

Best advice is to find a running cart and start there. With more Experience you probably could do something with the Melex. But it definetly is not the cart for a newbie. You should be able to find a good Ez-Go or ClubCar for around $1,500 that would be a good starter cart to build-up.
Hope this helps and good luck with getting a better cart.
bioniccartsandcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
asquarecan
Not Yet Wild

I am not 100% positive my motor doesnt work, I am going to get it tested this week.

Assuming it does work will I be able to get the other things I need to make it run?

I am literally tearing it down and going to be replacing almost everything on it which is why i started with such a junker to begin with. This is my first cart but not my first radical rebuild like this.

My biggest issue is this is the first time dealing with an electric motor so trying to figure all that out is my biggest issue.

I can get batteries really cheap so that is not an issue. Other then the motor do these carts have any issues?

Thanks
Keith
Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

ok here is what people are trying to nicely tell you.

Your cart is 30 years old. Parts are almost none existent.

If you are looking to make a "show cart" you either need to sale this buy something else or keep this cart buy another cart and use the motor/axel/controller out of it etc.

you are looking to cruise car shows correct? well the system that is used to drive your cart is made to run wide open between golf holes or getting to your ball. Not slow crawling site seeing.

I suggest you got check out the regular electric carts section for some help.

But I would go with scotty on this. You have a pile of junk. maybe the frame is ok. But you are going to waste more money fixing this into custom then buying a newer ezgo ( they have a steel frame so you can cut and weld it with ease) and starting from there.
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Scottyb is spot on. Do yourself a favor and find a newer model cart. You won't like it when your done at all. I sank $1200 into my 77 Melex just to find out the honest truth that its only worth about $200. On top of that the wife bought it for $200 and it didn't even run. Its not even worth that now. I can scrap it for more than I could sell it for.

You might score $100 out of the motor. A new one cost around $500-$600. Rear Axle might bring another $100...
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Honestly. I'm gonna give it to you straight

YOU GOT THE WRONG CART Sell it and find a late model Ezgo to build you show piece from .....
I couldn't agree more, unless of course yoiu are a TOTAL gearhead, expert fabricator, and body man. Even then, you would be swearing at that rolling Money Pit for months.....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I am only telling you this because.......... my first golf cart was a 212 Melex. You have the no longer available Band brake on the front of the motor, Doncha? It's there instead of brakes at the wheels. huh? ... Sell it

But if you insist , We can help you build it
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!