lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
2slo2believe
Not Yet Wild

Default motorcycle engine swap problems..

Hello, i just started the long journey of putting a motorcycle engine in a golf cart. I picked up a 1982 Yamaha xj750 motor, the only problem is that it has a driveshaft for the output.. Initially i thought that a shaft drive would be "better" than a chain drive..apparently you guys dont use shaft drives that much. I got the motor for a great price, couldnt pass it up, ive had it for a week and the carbs are all cleaned im waiting to try and start it before i go further with it.

As im trying to get it started im wondering what kind of rear end would work for something like this, the engine should be making around 80hp stock, so it really cant be anything that comes out of a golf cart i dont think. Someone i know suggested a tractor/ lawn mower differential, what would you recommend? I suppose that i could use an atv differential?

how much would the differential weigh, how big would the ring gear and axel shafts be do you think? Im asking this becuase i have a mopar 7 1/4" rear end lying around, im just afraid its too beefy and inefficient and that ill just be burning the clutch whenever i try and move..
i want to do this on a budget too..any suggestions or thoughts?
2slo2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: motorcycle engine swap problems..

What kind of cart do you have? if it's long like a bigger workhorse you could run a shaft to a ring and pinion rear. There's already a bunch of those type rears use in older 2 stroke carts that'll easily handle the power. won't have reverse though. If you use a 4 stroke cart rear i'd turn the engine side ways and use the shaft with gear/sprocket on it to power a jack shaft with a clutch on it.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome to BGW 2slo2believe.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
2slo2believe
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies, at the moment this is the only peice of the puzzle that i have, and its not much..especially because i found out that it is frozen..im starting to think about dropping it and looking for a different chain drive engine and recouping my losses on this engine later. at least i learned in the future to rebuild the carbs after i find out if the engine can crank...

do you think in the long run itd be better just to get a chain drive engine?
2slo2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

If this thing runs, build it. There is a rear end in the Taylor Dunns that would hold up. Ford third member, narrowed and tucked into less than 4 foot width. This would hold up to this motorcycle engine no problem. Kepp us informed. If it don't run...don't know what to tell you.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
mikelikesit2000
Getting Wild

I working on a similar project. I am going to find an axle at a junk yard out of a toyoya 4runner or 4x4. I will shorten the axle using sleeves to weld the axle shafts back together. I will mount a 133 tooth flexplate to the drive shaft and use a gear reduction starter for reverse. Using a shaft allows you to get more articulation if you are going for a long travel setup.
mikelikesit2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Mikesn31
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I was curious, you will need to have a yoke on the driveshaft so that it will articulate with the rear suspension unless the engine will be mounted on the swing arm. That may be a rough ride for the engine though. I went with the chain drive option cause there are so many ATV parts available... Don't give up though I really gotta see it done! You might look at some Polaris rear differentials on eBay
Mikesn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

I wish you all the luck in the world at this project! I have been there done this, and gave up. First of all, the biggest problem you will have off the bat is keeping that engine cool under the cart seat. They get real hot and the only thing you can do is dump air on them with fans. That in it self becomes a problem trying to keep batteries from dying. Its also not fun driving the cart with all that heat right under your A$$, not to menting melting plastic things around the exhaust. Then another issue, depending on which cart your putting this into is, seat clearance. You can start digging out the seat, or start moving it up, but that's a huge challenge to make it look right. The next problem I encountered was the chain setup. Not easy to get this right! When you finally get the right tension, you then deal with tourqe, changing everything. You'll also need a clutch. Driving a golf cart with a clutch is very strange, and you don't want ANYONE driving your cart when you get done. Its too risky!! Going back to stock engine and stock belt drive is SSOOOO much easier! But, of course this is just my 2 cents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070176.jpg (159.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg P1070175.jpg (116.7 KB, 68 views)
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
Mikesn31
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wow an air cooled engine must be crazy hot, the fins on the cylinder heads are designed to have the air velocity of a 55mph drive blowing across them. I bet if you reverse that fan it sure keeps you warm in the winter!!! I am not trying to come across wrong but the chain tensioner is suppose to go on the lower side of the chain does it give you any problems? Sorry, I'm an engineer by trade and I notice things. I will be running a very similar sprocket set up but mine will be as close to the splined part of the shaft to reduce bearing stress. Great job I love the dual exhaust it's gotta sound great!! Gear ratio work for you?
Mikesn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Mikeland Federation
Not Yet Wild

I got a motor with 80 hp as well, couldnt really find anything out about the rear end holding up, i would consider a quad rear end. just so you dont fry your stock gearing set up
Mikeland Federation is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps