lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default simplified timing

This should be a sticky. it would solve a lot of timing problems.
I have made a mechanical stop to screw into the spark plug hole to stop the flywheel at the forward and reverse marks. It really helps for you do not have to watch through the flywheel cover hole while making adjustments. A battery and flashlight lamp can also be used to indicate exactly when the points http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/editp...&p=1514184open and the stop will time a Harley in a short time.
Timing is fixed at 25 degrees before and after TDC. This figures to be 25 degrees = .173 inches piston travel before TDC forward and reverse measured from the piston top to the spark plug seat (top of the head).

The instructions below and the photo tell how I made my timing stop. It works perfectly but
Care must be used to protect the top of the piston. I am looking for a ¼ inch plastic rod to insert in the bolt to help to prevent damage to the top of the piston.

You can also drill the end of the bolt and insert a plastic rod to protect the top of the piston. The distance of extension of the 3/8th bolt is approx. 7/8 inch. From the spark plug seat to the bottom of the bolt is approximately 1 5/8 in.
I welded a ½ inch washer on top to make it easier to screw in and out by hand or hang on the wall.

A slip fit rod epoxy glued into the old plug at the proper distance will work as well. This tool is certainly not needed unless points and point plate is removed or moved. Once a year is probably all you would ever need to use it. It is just a gadget that I wanted to make to use in the field to check timing when I have problems. The time it took to make it will probably even out with time saved in around 5 years or so but I still like it!

Timing with the timing stop

Install the timing stop in the plug hole when piston is at top dead center. The timing marks will be close and the point plate can be adjusted by rocking the crank back and forth while looking through the hole in the cover. With the points set at .022 inch the point plate can be moved to allow the mark before and after to be seen through the hole equal distance before and after TDC. After the point plate has been adjusted, remove the timing stop, turn the crank shaft, and install the timing stop when the piston is around BDC. Then turn the crank one way and adjust the points to just open. Turn the crank the other way and see if the points just open. If the points open exactly when the piston touches the stop in both directions you are finished. If not, adjust the plate to allow the points to open equal distance before and after TDC then check point gap and adjust if necessary. A battery test lamp with leads will also help determine just when points open. The cart will run at top speed when the ignition timing is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: GEDC0071.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 121.2 KB
ID: 171480
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: simplified timing

Link not working for me and there doesn't appear to be any photos either.

Maybe the photos will help but I'm really not getting the feel that there is anything precise about your system but maybe seeing the photos will help.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The system is very precise by setting the timing 25 degrees before TDC in forward and reverse which is factory specs. Probably my explanation is some what confusing. I will post a photo as soon as I remember where it is and how to get over the Holiday stress. I am 84 now and my memory has slipped after a year of emergency spleen surgery, Bladder cancer, infection from the cure, and months in the hospital foe Blood Marrow Cancer. I am starting to work in my shop some after learning to walk some. My wife is always telling me not to fall and I just tell her that if I fall in my shop it will take 10 minuets to hit the floor. In the next week I will post a fresh photo and clear instructions. With no excuses for my failures!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
rib33024

I'll move this to the sticky's. And you take as much time you need to find the photo. And thank you for all your help around here.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson