lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #21
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lithium Battery Conversion - LV & HV control relay wiring

BTW & FWIW, my cart has a ScottyB Super Duty F\R contactor. Since the SD contactor is so close to where my battery pack\BMS\fuse\etc will be, I will connect the + lead (small SD contactor wire) to the relay on the LV circuit.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ok Gent's. For the first time.........I can't find an answer to my question of: What size flyback diode(s) do I need for my Lithium setup?

I'm looking at diodes for my relays. Everything I read says if I don't install a "proper size" diode, my relays will "fry" early. And I don't want\need anything to fry on my conversion!!

Any help here would......well, be helpful.

Dave
Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The "fly-back" diode is sized according to the relay coil current.

Those small 48v relays (and 12v relays if you have them) should use the 1 amp 1N4007 diodes.

You should use 3 amps for the big Solenoids and Reversing Contactors like the SW202.

By the way, You need to interrupt both +48v coils of the Reversing Contactor, so if You not wiring the LV to the Key Switch, You need to interrupt the power to the FNR switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #24
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks Sergio......my brain hurt is now subsiding.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #25
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

From paper to metal and plastic.

Now I need to mount it in the cart and run the external connections.

From top center, going clockwise:

Line Power (115 vac)

Neutral (115 vac)

Battery + (sized based on charger current)

Charger + supply (sized based on charger current)

To ZEVA HV & LV relay circuits

To harness (towards controller, connection removed from key switch cold side)

From key switch cold side

Battery -

ZEVA sleep input (ground)

That leaves one relay terminal unused, the N.O. Terminal on the sleep circuit relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3150F4B-1FAF-497E-9DBF-13BA8DFE6D5F.jpg (64.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 57B99E18-900E-470C-9A29-4DBC1D36A6C6.jpg (59.3 KB, 0 views)
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #26
DaveTM
Gone Wild

BTW.....your timing of posting this could not be better!! I just received 95% of my build components! And now......a picture to follow!!
Old 10-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #27
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

I need some input from you guys and I feel it's directly related to this thread.

My plan is to use a single battery enable relay/contactor to protect the pack from HV and LV situations. Is there a sistuation I am not thinking about that would leave the pack vulnerable?

I'd also like to incorporate the sleep function so while I'm garage hoping on the weekends I'm able to put the zeva to sleep with the key off and wake it up with key on.
The zeva when in sleep mode would disconnect the pack from my 12v reducer and its connected accessories. This would also mean that in order to charge the pack the key would also need to be on. I dont see a problem with this at least for my use because as long as the charger is connected the BMS needs to be active.

Reading the manual the sleep enable needs to be connected to ground this is as simple as installing a NC 48v relay off the key switch correct?

Is there a best practice in regards to fuse placement? I figure after the shunt but before the contactor is ok but maybe before the shunt would be better? In the event one of the sensing wires was to short I dont think the 400amp fuse would be of any protection anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #28
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The fuse is fine where You have indicated.

The best solution for your sleep switch is a regular ON/OFF toggle switch between B- and the Zeva sleep terminal.

You cannot use the key switch since there will be no power there when the Zeva is sleeping.

You also need to get familiar with the Zeva monitor setup since if the LV relay gets triggered, You will not be able to charge.

You would have to lower the LV threshold to allow the Solenoid to close so charging current can flow.

Also keep in mind if the LV or HV trigger during driving, You will need to either toggle the Sleep switch or power cycle the Zeva BMS itself.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #29
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you Sergio! I never even considered the key switch not having power when the zeva is asleep... Duh!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #30
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sergio’s design may seem complicated at first, but it is really easy to build and works great.

It is a very passive system to use.

When charging, just plug it in and Zeva wakes up and it just works!

On high voltage it just kills power to the key switch effectively shutting down the cart. Cycle the key and it is ready to run again.

On low voltage it also kills power to the key switch. Cycle the key, and bms is reset ready to run again.

I am very pleased with the function and how easy it is to use, i.e. it all works behind the scene with no user interaction until a protection circuit is triggered.

I have intentionally tested the HV circuit while running by lowering the HV threshold and tested the LV circuit by raising the LV threshold. Both worked as designed.

I also tested the HV circuit while charging by lowering the HV threshold and it too worked flawlessly.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium