lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
Dagoboy1976
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default BS charging

I've got a 16hp Briggs with the rec kit. With the idle set low around 1000 rpm so the clutch doesn't engage, the charging is 12v. It does increase to 13.5 when I throttle up. What do I have to do or look for to have this thing charge. Batteries only last a few starts before they die off

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Dagoboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2022, 12:44 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: BS charging

For more charging power, most will add an alternator. You'll need a V pulley behind the primary clutch, a belt, a one wire universal alternator, and a bracket (possibly fabricate).

There are some parts available for Briggs engines to upgrade the charging system, but they really aren't designed to run anything except the engine ignition system itself and maybe some headlights.

If you are only getting a few starts out of a charged battery, I'd look at the battery itself, your wiring, or even the stator on the engine. I've had multiple briggs Vtwins and never had any issues with battery charging unless I was trying to run lots of lights. The Briggs charging systems should maintain a good battery if everything else is good to go.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Default Re: BS charging

I agree with Slonomo.

I had a Cushman with a 16 hp B&S. I had radio system, lights, etc. I never had trouble with battery not charging. Neighbor had same set up and he never had that problem.

I do run marine type batteries on my carts. I guess because of their deep cycle capabilities. Out board motors have a similar charging system as a 4 stroke B&S.

I'd make sure my cables are clean and have a good connection. Especially the ground. Make sure ground has good connection to motor or frame. You can charge your battery then take it to your local automotive store and they can run a test. Battery could have bad cell or on it's last leg.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!