lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
msutim
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad controller symptoms

What are some common symptoms of a bad controller or one that is going bad ????
msutim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: Bad controller symptoms

Cart will not run...............

Cart runs with intermittant problems.....................

Always check the simple things before replacing the controler. The simple things cost much less.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
mybadomen
Getting Wild

how about just a slow cart? could that be a sign of a bad controller? Car runs fine but has a hard time climbing hills and is very slow? With new batteries and cables and all cleaned connections.?
mybadomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lots of controllers work right up until catastrophic failure. So there isn't any warning behavior. But some will give a sign...

Like going into thermal shut down and cart works again after it cools off...

Or reverse (or forward) is intermittent or doesn't work.

Cart may run in one direction and not the other regardless of the position of the selector toggle.

And finally there is smoke rising from under the seat
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
mybadomen
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Lots of controllers work right up until catastrophic failure. So there isn't any warning behavior. But some will give a sign...

Like going into thermal shut down and cart works again after it cools off...

Or reverse (or forward) is intermittent or doesn't work.

Cart may run in one direction and not the other regardless of the position of the selector toggle.

And finally there is smoke rising from under the seat
Just so petrified i am going to buy a controller and have the same problem :( i just put it back together after finding the springs in the motor for the brushes on backwards with no tension. It took of fast i took a couple runs around the campground and then slowed right to a crawl again. doesnt this sound like the solenoid heating up? I really have no idea but the thing has killed me the last 4 days and i still am at square 1. and i have a feeling i am going to buy a controller and still be in the same boat. Shame its such a nice cart but i honestly cant take much more . i have bruises all over me from switching the batteries 3 or 4 times a day. Because i need at least 1 cart for work. There has to be a way to tell for sure a controller is bad? or do shops just guess?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Some shops guess, they just hang parts or shotgun parts, however you want to say it until she runs... there are a few tests to tell if a controller is working or not. First you have to know what make and what drive system and which control you are working with..... and in all cases you should have a good pack of batteries to run diagnostics.

Your slow cart is not a controller problem. Okay, unless it is simply too small and the tires are too big.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
mybadomen
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Some shops guess, they just hang parts or shotgun parts, however you want to say it until she runs... there are a few tests to tell if a controller is working or not. First you have to know what make and what drive system and which control you are working with..... and in all cases you should have a good pack of batteries to run diagnostics.

Your slow cart is not a controller problem. Okay, unless it is simply too small and the tires are too big.
I have a whole thread showing everything in the Yamaha section .but then i found this thread so i posted here. Its a stock 1998 36v Yamaha G16E with all brand new batteries i bought a month ago and use daily in my old 86 EZ-GO Cart. I put the new batteries and all new cables into the Yamaha and cleaned every connection and it takes off good and slows after a short time like the batteries are dying. Also has trouble climbing hills. I today took the Motor apart and found someone had 2 of the Brush springs on backwards so 2 brushes had no pressure at all on them. I cleaned everything in the Motor up fixed the springs so all 4 brushes now had even tension and swore that was the problem. I got back in the cart and took right off. i was excited. after 1 lap around the camp ground it started again going slower and slower. I felt every terminal and connection to see if somethings getting hot but nope. I honestly dont get what could be wrong. Also the previous owner said it was slow the whole time he had it so he only used it on flat ground. (I figured was the batteries or cables) So i bought it really cheap but it has been the biggest nightmare imaginable.I spent 4 days working on it and switched batteries many many times because i need 1 cart for work here at camp.Oh the Pot i think its called under the pedal is also new.

Here is the thread with all the testing and work i have done and all the cart info: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...rt-please.html

If you could help i would be so in debt to you :)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not very experienced in Yamaha troubleshooting... seems to me you found the smoking gun in the motor brush springs? No?
Somebody else had already been in there trying to fix something...can you find another motor to try?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
mybadomen
Getting Wild

hmm maby my EZ-GO will bolt up?

Oh and pretty sure i fixed the Motor. all the brushes are nice now and the motor look fine inside. the winding,brushes etc. So not really sure the Motor would be the issue. I just think whoever messed with it searching for the problem before me put the springs on wrong checking the brushes.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
mybadomen
Getting Wild

Took it to work again today .Pulled it off the charger after charging all night and takes off nice and fast then slows to a crawl again. I would love to do any testing now before i swap batteries for the 100th time. Anything else i can test or any idea of an easy test i can perform that might tell the problem? I have a Fluke multimeter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car