lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Default 2008 Club Car speed adjustment

I just got a used 2008.5 Club Car and the dealer was supposed to set the controller speed to 16MPH. However it didn't take and now it can only get to 13 MPH. Now I'm 300 miles away. IS there software and cable description such that I can program it myself. I have done that on my old 1996 Club Car with ATX controller.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2008 Club Car speed adjustment

Yes, but it would be cheaper to drive the 300 miles back to the dealer and have it done. 16mph is code 3, why not just get code 4 and go 19.6? I had that happen to me before but I cought it before I left the shop after several test runs. I watched him program it and it worked great. Turned off the cart and switched the tow/run off then back on and it ran 13 mph again! We reprogrammed and it has been good for over a year now. Any CC dealer and local CC shops can do this but it will cost you. Code 4 runs $100-$150.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
trigger1937
Gone Wild

colbyntx,...Thanks for the info. I had a 96 CC with a high current ATX controller that would do 21MPH but we live in a place where we really can't use it and I learned that the faster I drove the quicker the batteries went down. It is a power hog. I don't need anything faster than 16. It turns out my local CC repair guy has the tool to set the code again and I will make sure it stays set this time. I know it was set once as I drove the cart and verified the speed. However after I disconnected one battery to charge it with my 12 volt charge and put the unit into TOW, when I switched it back next morning the speed was back to #2.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1937 View Post
colbyntx,...Thanks for the info. I had a 96 CC with a high current ATX controller that would do 21MPH but we live in a place where we really can't use it and I learned that the faster I drove the quicker the batteries went down. It is a power hog. I don't need anything faster than 16. It turns out my local CC repair guy has the tool to set the code again and I will make sure it stays set this time. I know it was set once as I drove the cart and verified the speed. However after I disconnected one battery to charge it with my 12 volt charge and put the unit into TOW, when I switched it back next morning the speed was back to #2.
Wondered why you disconnected one battery to charge with a 12v charger?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

I am wondering why the speed code keeps dropping out when TOW switch is toggled or when battery is removed . . . speed code is a software change that should be static . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
I am wondering why the speed code keeps dropping out when TOW switch is toggled or when battery is removed . . . speed code is a software change that should be static . . .
Don't know why either. It happen to me as I said and I watched the guy program everything. Jumpped into the cart and it was 19.6mph. Cut off the power and back on, back to 13 mph. Reprogrammed and it has been ok for a while now. Don't know why but it happened.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

you could contact orange county golf carts in port jevis,new york . They have 4 pole magnets to replace the 8 pole that the speed sensor gets its info from..

using this the speed sensor will think you are driving at 1/2 of your true speed

easy to install just remove 2 screws on the motor mounted speed sensor and 1- screw under that removes the maganet

never tried it myself but in theory it will function. I once build a speed fooler that electrically did the same thing...but removed cause the curtis controller was not stable with it
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

What's the serial number prefix? PH or PQ?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
trigger1937
Gone Wild

TahoeGawg,... The Serial number of my Precedent is PQ0838-962678. Another local Tech is coming tomorrow to reset the code to #3. Once I test it I will turn it to tow and back to run and see if the code holds. If it does then I will disconnect the batteries in tow mode, wait a few minutes, then put everything back together and switch to Run and see what I get.

To answer Ericts question. It is a 12 volt car charger that has many built in function, one of which is De-sulfate with high voltage shots and I never wanted that to hit the controller or any thing else in the cart,... so I disconnect one battery at a time. By the way,...it charges the single battery much better than the Club Car charger does on all 4 batteries. Remember I just got this cart and none of the batteries were up to the proper charge. One battery had 5 perfect cells with the Hydrometer in the middle of the white and one cell was virtually dead. The dealer took that battery back and gave me another one out of similar cart. That battery initially show 11.87 volts and all cells were deep into the RED. With one long charge with my car charger it is back to full charge and reads 12.67. When I get a chance I will "Equalize" the cells and do the same process to all 4 batteries.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
zmne
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm new to the golf car world. I also have a 2008 CC Pres. Not sure of the speed code, but it is showing 15 on my GPS. I would like to bump it up with little work. I have seen Spedy Link or the dealer I bought if from tells me to just switch out the magnet.

What is the best fix? If the magnet is the better fix then does anyone have directions with pictures? I'm not the most handy.

Thanks in advance.
zmne is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car