lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default 2000 TXT Drum pad install "HUH!!"

I picked up a set of 4 pads for my 2000 EZ-GO TXT rear drums. Not much installation difference that when I was a kid putting 'em on a 66 Fairlane.

But this was a real head scratcher. I first installed the drivers side. Removed old pads, cleaned out the backing plate and adjuster, etc. installed the new pads....cranked down the star adjuster, and slid the drum back on. Tighten the castle nut, put on wheel....done with that side.

Went to passenger side and did the same.....but could not get the drum back over the new pads. I cranked the star adjuster all the way down.....can't get the drum on.

Then I compared the old shoes to the new shoes. The new one's have a little more metal on the shoe frame and in order to get them to work, it appears I would have to grind or file down the metal to get the pads to a smaller diameter for the drum to slide back on.

Believe me.....I whacked the snot outta the drum (big rubber hammer) to no avail. I even tightened the castle nut up some (I didn't wanna go nutz there) but that drum was NOT going on.

Has anyone ever had to grind off a bit of the shoe to get it to work???
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 TXT Drum pad install "HUH!!"

There is a front pad and rear pad. Slightly different. Rear pad slightly larger.
truetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Hmmm.....is it possible that I installed the two small pads on the drivers side?
Old 08-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Hmmm.....is it possible that I installed the two small pads on the drivers side?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Better pop that other side off and see if that's the case. I've done it myself a few times.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Not hard to do. I am a rookie when it comes to golf carts but a seasoned veteran when it comes to drum brakes. You sent me into memory nirvana with your Fairlane comment.

I recently did my drum brakes on my 94 Medalist. The difference is perceptible if you carefully look. When I ordered my shoes they were identified as front and rear. Were yours?
Old 08-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #6
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetex View Post
When I ordered my shoes they were identified as front and rear. Were yours?
Back in the late 60's and early 70's and relining brakes on Mopar they were identified as primary and secondary and were color coded on the side of the linings. Primary was a shorter lining and went toward the front of the vehicle, secondary was a longer lining and did most of the actual braking duty on the back of the drum.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:34 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetex View Post
Not hard to do. I am a rookie when it comes to golf carts but a seasoned veteran when it comes to drum brakes. You sent me into memory nirvana with your Fairlane comment.

I recently did my drum brakes on my 94 Medalist. The difference is perceptible if you carefully look. When I ordered my shoes they were identified as front and rear. Were yours?
Mine were not ID'ed as front and back. Hopefully, later today I will have a chance to pop off the drivers side and compare those shoes with the two that are still in the box.

Funny part (well....not ha ha funny) was I said to myself, "back in the day one shoe was shorter than the other". I shoulda listened to that little voice.

Way back in the day it was the 66 Fairlane, 67 Malibu, 66 Chevy Biscane (3 on the tree!) and a few others that I paid $100 for and drove until the frame rusted completely through!!!
Old 08-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

So......it was NOT the short shoe vs the long shoe issue. It took some studying but what the problem was, was how the pads were "glued" to the metal shoe.

The pads, on two shoes, were glued on....well....not so straight. Some of the pad actually hung over the edge of the metal shoe part. I took a file and cut the pad all the way down to the metal part of the shoe, and everything went together as it should have.

I considered sending the brake shoes back......but then figured the new one's were likely gonna be the same as my existing ones.

So....problem solved.....I can stop again!!!
Old 08-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #9
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So......it was NOT the short shoe vs the long shoe issue. It took some studying but what the problem was, was how the pads were "glued" to the metal shoe.

The pads, on two shoes, were glued on....well....not so straight. Some of the pad actually hung over the edge of the metal shoe part. I took a file and cut the pad all the way down to the metal part of the shoe, and everything went together as it should have.

I considered sending the brake shoes back......but then figured the new one's were likely gonna be the same as my existing ones.

So....problem solved.....I can stop again!!!
Excellent. Glad you figgerred it out.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah....I think what was going on was the pad part that was overhanging was up against the backing plate.

So, when I went to put the drum on, the brake pads would tilt...and not allow the drum to go on.

Anyway....that's my theory....that and $1.25 will get you a small coffee at the corner store!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO