lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
Tx93086
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 96 Yamaha G16 Light Clanking Sound

I am new to the forum and nave a G16 that has a clinking sound only when under load (it goes away at full speed on flat ground). With the belt off I can rotate the engine by hand and there is a noise that sounds like lash in the cam gear when I rock the crank back and forth in a position where the valves start to open. I have adjusted the valves. I do not think it is a rod knocking, or piston slap because when I rotate back and forth at TDC on the compression stroke there is no noise.

Also, with the belt off The transmission seems to have more backlash than I would expect, and makes a little noise, but not much.

Anyone know what I might be hearing? Is this common on older carts? I had a 2004 model and it did not make the noise.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Richard
Tx93086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 96 Yamaha G16 Light Clanking Sound

My first thought would be the clutch weights in the primary...they do tend to clink around and make noise but are most heard just before comes to rest or under a load but are quiet when up to speed because they are fully open...not a sure thing but first thought when I read thread...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
Tx93086
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 96 Yamaha G16 Light Clanking Sound

The clutch was my first suspect so I rebuilt it with new rollers (the old ones had significant wear) bu no change in the noise.
Tx93086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha