lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #1
AJC
Not Yet Wild

Default What is I40L's maximum wheel spacer threshold without splashing?

Guys, I want to add wheel spacers to my 140L for added stability, but since I can't seem to find wider fender flares for the Icon I'll need to keep what I have. So what is the sweet spot? What wheel spacer size (front and rear) combination will increase the wheel base without splashing mud and water all up on the cart as I pass through every mud puddle? 1 inch? 1.5 inch? 2 inch? What is the "splashing threshold"----the max spacer size to use on the front and the max spacer size to use on the rear to increase the wheel base a bit without splash issues?
(For example: if I put 2 inch spacers on front, if splashing is a problem what if I use 1.5? Still a problem?
If so what if I use 1 inch? Problem gone? What about the rear?).
Just want to know based on everyone's experience. Thanks.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: What is I40L's maximum wheel spacer threshold without splashing?

Stop driving through mud puddles lol. And I don't think anybody is going to have that data since we all sort of just pick a size and throw them on. I have 2" and I don't have any splashing problem, but I also rarely drive through liquids being in So Cal.

I think this is most likely going to be a try & see problem unless there's somebody with an ICON who drives through mud all the time already.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

the answer is no spacers. You could try one inch but the tire will still protrude beyond the fenders and you're at risk of still having mud slung.

If you in a relatively dry climate then it's avoidable like ATrain indicates. I live in Florida where it's very wet 5 months out of the year and manageable the rest of the time. If you're in a similar climate then you have to choose between better ride or mud.

I can say even with the 2 inch spacers it's not like every ride is a mud slinging experience even during the wet months but it definitely happens.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
Itchy75
Not Yet Wild

Did anyone try 1.5" spacers? Do they fit without having to cut lugs?

I would love to put the 1" on, but think it may be a problem.
Itchy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
StracDnomyar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Stop driving through mud puddles lol. And I don't think anybody is going to have that data since we all sort of just pick a size and throw them on. I have 2" and I don't have any splashing problem, but I also rarely drive through liquids being in So Cal.

I think this is most likely going to be a try & see problem unless there's somebody with an ICON who drives through mud all the time already.
Hi ATrain , curious how you like your 2" spacers compared to stock? I've got a completely stock i60 lifted that the dealer capped at 25mph, I'm curious if I should add some spacers before programming it to go 30. It feels very comfortable at 25, but wasn't sure what everyone else's personal experiences were with the spacers. I'm in FL but hopefully avoiding the afternoon showers for the most part...
StracDnomyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
Burt Bronson
Not Yet Wild

I just ordered some 1.5 wheel spacers for a lifted Icon 40 ... I know the wheels are gone to poke out past the fender flares some but if you want play you got to pay. They are coming tomorrow ... I should have them on by the end of the week. I will try to post some pics
Burt Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #7
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StracDnomyar View Post
Hi ATrain , curious how you like your 2" spacers compared to stock? I've got a completely stock i60 lifted that the dealer capped at 25mph, I'm curious if I should add some spacers before programming it to go 30. It feels very comfortable at 25, but wasn't sure what everyone else's personal experiences were with the spacers. I'm in FL but hopefully avoiding the afternoon showers for the most part...
I highly recommend them. I have no problems with stuff getting thrown up from the tires, but I'm in CA and get very little rain so I can't speak to moisture.

The improved stability and turning feel is great, plus when you turn up the speed it's almost mandatory to get the spacers. If you have a cart with 4 people going very fast, it gets speed wobbles and is kind of dangerous without them.

I would hit 33mph downhill with people on the cart and the thing was swerving ALL over the place. Very dangerous, especially with a beer or two in you. Spacers improved that bigtime.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #8
StracDnomyar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I highly recommend them. I have no problems with stuff getting thrown up from the tires, but I'm in CA and get very little rain so I can't speak to moisture.

The improved stability and turning feel is great, plus when you turn up the speed it's almost mandatory to get the spacers. If you have a cart with 4 people going very fast, it gets speed wobbles and is kind of dangerous without them.

I would hit 33mph downhill with people on the cart and the thing was swerving ALL over the place. Very dangerous, especially with a beer or two in you. Spacers improved that bigtime.
Is there a set you'd recommend? I'm assuming these are pretty easy to install myself

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

this is what i got, https://www.amazon.com/4pc-2-0-Thick...omotive&sr=1-4 but they were $85 when I bought, apparently word caught on.

Super easy to install.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
StracDnomyar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahfah View Post
this is what i got, but they were $85 when I bought, apparently word caught on.

Super easy to install.
Hey thanks so much I'll order those. Had an order in for maybe the wrong size, 62mm bore instead of the 68mm you posted. I honestly couldn't tell from the photos what that measurement was even talking about...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tags
fender flares, splashing, wheel spacers
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon