lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
gpilgrim
Not Yet Wild

Default 2021 Drive 2 EFI Governor Adjustment

I recently purchased a new Yamaha Drive 2 EFI. I was told by the dealer that the cart was set for a max speed of 19 mph. However my cart will only run 15-16 mph. I contacted the dealer and he would not give me any help on this problem. Can anyone give me instructions on how to adjust the governor to get the 19 mph promised by Yamaha and its dealer. I am fairly mechanically inclined.
gpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2021 Drive 2 EFI Governor Adjustment

You can try tightening the governor but speed might be limited by the EFI system. Tighten the nut with the 1 arrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B5DD1034-B7AD-4299-AC02-C8C28359ED50.jpeg (178.9 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
gpilgrim
Not Yet Wild

Thanks
Old 07-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
ADSFR075
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpilgrim View Post
I recently purchased a new Yamaha Drive 2 EFI. I was told by the dealer that the cart was set for a max speed of 19 mph. However my cart will only run 15-16 mph. I contacted the dealer and he would not give me any help on this problem. Can anyone give me instructions on how to adjust the governor to get the 19 mph promised by Yamaha and its dealer. I am fairly mechanically inclined.

I adjusted my governor last weekend and now get 25 mph on my 2020
ADSFR075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
gpilgrim
Not Yet Wild

Can you send me a pic or some quick instructions on how to access the governor adjustment rod?
Old 07-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
gpilgrim
Not Yet Wild

All is well. Adjusted the governor and now my 2021 Drive 2 EFI runs like it should!! Thanks to all.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpilgrim View Post
All is well. Adjusted the governor and now my 2021 Drive 2 EFI runs like it should!! Thanks to all.
Wait, how exactly did you do this? I'm not mechanically inclined, so minute details are most helpful (for example, turn (tighten) nut approx 1/4 turn..)

I have a new cart on order, due in a couple weeks. Adventurer 2+2 gas. I don't know if factory will be shipping dealer 2020 or 2021 at this point.
ElDiabloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
Tatt2billy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I do this all the time. The best method that I have found is using a 10mm ratcheting wrench. Can use a 1/4” drive 10mm deep well socket. With seat removed reaching down and behind starter/generator motor. Turn nut clockwise until 3/16”+- of threads left on backside of bracket remain. You will probably be doing this by feel without jacking up your cart. The picture posted above looks correct. Arrow 1 is it. Looks like the correct amount of threads left as well. If engine backfires after adjustment back off the nut a few turns. Do this until it stops. The backfiring is from turning gov. Up to high. Yamaha also sells a heavier governor spring to help with speeding up. Photo posted above with arrows 2,3&4 are pointing to the spring. That’s a whole detailed install though. Hope this is of help
Tatt2billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:48 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Lol, "yamaha sells a 'speed up spring'" total joke unless you want to post a real part number (trust me, they dont). Also, the "if it backfires, back it off" is also bogus. That just means the throttle cables were in poor adjustment (most likely the carb itself was in poor adjustment). Cant wait to hear the yamaha part number for that "spring". The governor adjustment hasn't changed since the G2 (1980s), so I figured you could find that easily enough. (Didnt bother adding "new content from the '80s").

I'll wait for that "yamaha specified high speed spring" part number (hint: its gonna have a very particular amount of characters in it if it came from yamaha)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
Tatt2billy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I stand corrected on the governor spring by gtech. Thanks. They only have a stock spring and I believe the part number is something like 90508-40678. I have replaced them when weak. That will not be needed since I believe your getting a new cart. Gtech I have had engines backfire after turning the governor all the way up with cables and carb in correct adjustment. Why would this happen? Reason I ask is I don’t turn them all The way up anymore because of that issue.
Tatt2billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha