lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
5795ds
Not Yet Wild

Default 95ds 48v hardly moves in fwd & reverse

Hello all I recently picked up a 95 ds I’m converting to a 57. The body swap went well and all is good till I had to get the donor swap going. Batteries are at 50 on the entire set and seeing 50 at the solenoid.

The cart still wasn’t moving so I bypassed the obc and the solenoid clicked and the cart would move. It hardly moves but does under it own power. Any ideas? I don’t hear a click when I put the key in. Does that happen in a 95 club car? Sorry I more familiar with ezgo. Anyways if you guys have any ideas I’m all ears.

Let me know what other info you need for further diagnosis. Much appreciated.

Eric
5795ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 95ds 48v hardly moves in fwd & reverse

What charger are you using on the 95 ds? It sounds like a charge problem.

Is the OBC still connected per stock?

Does the main negative cable go through the hole in the OBC?

Are you reading the 50 volts with a digital meter?

Connect one meter lead to the main solenoid output terminal (the one that goes to the controller) and the other lead to pack negative. Push the go pedal and see what the voltage is. Let us know what you find.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:02 AM   #3
5795ds
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
What charger are you using on the 95 ds? It sounds like a charge problem. Aftermarket.

Is the OBC still connected per stock? No I bypassed so it’s no longer being used

Does the main negative cable go through the hole in the OBC? I cut it and is wired to pack negative.

Are you reading the 50 volts with a digital meter? Yes 49.85

Connect one meter lead to the main solenoid output terminal (the one that goes to the controller) and the other lead to pack negative. Push the go pedal and see what the voltage is. Let us know what you find.

I will do that first thing this morning and report back
Old 05-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
5795ds
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I turned the cart on put in forward hooked up my two clips and when I hit the pedal the voltage drops to 45. The cart tries to move and does so just at snails pace.

When the key is off an out of the cart the reverse buzzer still sounds. Is that normal? The cart was like that when I got it. Anyways I really appreciate all the help Tom47
Old 05-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5795ds View Post
Ok so I turned the cart on put in forward hooked up my two clips and when I hit the pedal the voltage drops to 45. The cart tries to move and does so just at snails pace.

When the key is off an out of the cart the reverse buzzer still sounds. Is that normal? The cart was like that when I got it. Anyways I really appreciate all the help Tom47
You're welcome! Maybe someone else will chime in (smarter than I) to give you additional assistance.

The buzzer has one red wire that is hot even with the key off. It will buzz if you push it backwards anytime.

Your voltage dropping to 45 is the reason you can't move. It can drop to 44 in a fully charged cart but only under acceleration load. Your batteries are not being charged properly.

Your 49.85 volt reading after charging is only around 75% capacity. You should read 50.91 volts 12 hours after removing the charger to be at 100%.

Your aftermarket charger may be set incorrectly for your battery type.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
5795ds
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
You're welcome! Maybe someone else will chime in (smarter than I) to give you additional assistance.

The buzzer has one red wire that is hot even with the key off. It will buzz if you push it backwards anytime.

Your voltage dropping to 45 is the reason you can't move. It can drop to 44 in a fully charged cart but only under acceleration load. Your batteries are not being charged properly.

Your 49.85 volt reading after charging is only around 75% capacity. You should read 50.91 volts 12 hours after removing the charger to be at 100%.

Your aftermarket charger may be set incorrectly for your battery type.
I think I found the culprit. I had charged all the batteries to 52 and after playing golf all day I came back and checked each one individually and it showed 6.23 volts. Showed fine in prior tests but seems to not have enough juice to get the cart moving. Makes sense after what you told me. I’ll be getting a replacement Monday and update the thread with either outcome. I appreciate all the help so much.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
5795ds
Not Yet Wild

I also ordered a charger that I won’t have to monitor for correct voltage when charging.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Keep us updated. That's going to be a sweet cart!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5795ds View Post
I also ordered a charger that I won’t have to monitor for correct voltage when charging.
Your old charger may be fine. If one battery was low, and since the batteries are in series, one bad battery or even one bad cell in a battery can disrupt the entire pack voltage.

You'll know more when you replace the culprit. And good with the rest of the voyage!
Old 05-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Keep us updated. That's going to be a sweet cart!
And Mooncarter ought to know about 57's!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car