lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #1
LosGuys
Not Yet Wild

Default Install MODZ MAX charger

Has any one installed the MODZ MAX battery charger inside of their cart? Pros/ Cons? Pictures of where you put it?
LosGuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Install MODZ MAX charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosGuys View Post
Has any one installed the MODZ MAX battery charger inside of their cart? Pros/ Cons? Pictures of where you put it?
I have this charger and use it daily but do not have it mounted in my cart. I like the charger it seems to maintain the batteries well, the only con I have noticed is that the charger will let the batteries run down for multiple days without charging them. I was under the impression that it would maintain batteries over a long period of time when left plugged in, but I do not believe the charger does that.
dreed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've been thinking about doing the same thing... With it's compact size it seems perfect to be screwed into the cart. I'll probably do install to my cart this week and will post pictures of how I install it then.

Dreed: I thought the same thing. I'll hook it up after we use it in the evening and it charges perfectly but once it shuts off I haven't noticed it cut back on which leads to my batteries not being fully charged when I'm ready to use. I've been unplugging it and re-plugging it right back in once I get home from work to initiate the charge. Other than that I do like the charger though.
Caseyrollins08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That charger does not have a continuous "float" mode, which is a good thing.

Just to double check for other members that want to install it onboard, Did You say that it definitely starts a new charge cycle by just unplugging and re-plugging the AC power cord (without disconnecting the DC leads)?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

I haven't tried unplugging and re-plugging from just the wall outlet (which I assume would be same thing if was hooked up onboard without disconnecting the DC leads) but I do know for sure, that when you unplug and re-plug from the charger receptacle it immediately starts a new charge cycle. In my previous post I was letting LosGuys know that I was planning on installing my charger onboard this week so I will provide an update then.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You may want to test the AC power cord unplug/plug without disconnecting from the cart before installing it onboard.

It would not make sense to mount the charger onboard if it does not work that way.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

You're absolutely right about that, it would defeat the purpose for sure.

I'm going to check it here shortly and will update.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Update:

I plugged the charger yesterday early evening and once the cart was fully charged the charger cutoff. The cart sat over night (still plugged in) until about 10:45 today so during that time the batteries were slowly draining. Without touching the charger to golf cart receptacle cord, I unplugged and re-plugged the golf cart from the outlet at the wall and the charger cut on and started a new charge cycle.

Sergio: So wouldn't you think I shouldn't have an issue with running the charger straight to the batteries allowing me to only plug the power cord into the wall outlet when after use?
Old 11-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyrollins08 View Post
Update:

I plugged the charger yesterday early evening and once the cart was fully charged the charger cutoff. The cart sat over night (still plugged in) until about 10:45 today so during that time the batteries were slowly draining. Without touching the charger to golf cart receptacle cord, I unplugged and re-plugged the golf cart from the outlet at the wall and the charger cut on and started a new charge cycle.

Sergio: So wouldn't you think I shouldn't have an issue with running the charger straight to the batteries allowing me to only plug the power cord into the wall outlet when after use?
It does appear the charger is designed to work onboard without any changes.

You should be able to just connect the charger DC output directly to the batteries and control the charger by plugging the AC cord to the wall.

If You install a "smart plug" you can also start a new charge cycle (turn plug OFF then ON) on your way home from work and have fresh of the charger batteries to ride when you get home. I used to do that on Friday's afternoon before I left my office so the cart was fully charged when I got home.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
It does appear the charger is designed to work onboard without any changes.

You should be able to just connect the charger DC output directly to the batteries and control the charger by plugging the AC cord to the wall.

If You install a "smart plug" you can also start a new charge cycle (turn plug OFF then ON) on your way home from work and have fresh of the charger batteries to ride when you get home. I used to do that on Friday's afternoon before I left my office so the cart was fully charged when I got home.
That's a great tip, I'm going to do that! It's sad seeing my voltage metering showing me my batteries aren't fully charged when I get home. Thank you sir!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO