lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
dherweck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 84 EZGO Curtis 1204 Controller from Melex

Okay, along the lines of several other threads but I can't seem to find the answers or diagrams I need. I have a 1984 EZGO 36v cart. I'm converting it to solid state using a complete setup that appears to have come out of a Melex Cart. It's a 1204 controller and I purchased it used and all the components came wired as they were removed from the previous owner/cart for the most part (and that's where the questions come in).

The major part of the wiring matches the diagram for a Melex with Curtis 1204 controller (FNR switch to solenoid, Controller, and Potentiometer). The Melex diagram doesn't show any micro switches or the detail for connecting the wires from them to the various components and it lacks any details on the potentiometer connections.

So, I've pulled up the EZGO diagrams with the Curtis controller and the 1204 diagram direct from Curtis as well (I'm attaching all three diagrams I'm referencing. The Curtis pdf attached, I'm referencing figure 5, pg 6). The EZGO diagram shows a double micro switch on the driver side of the FNR controls, and what I have only has a single micro switch on that side, same as passenger side. Each of the micro switches has two wires coming off them that I need to connect to something.

Also, the potentiometer has two wires coming off that are blue and black and I am assuming they go into the black/middle spade connector on the 1204 and the bottom/white connecter.

The microswitch on the potentiometer has 1 wire on one side and two wires coming off the other. The EZGO diagram seems to differ from the Curtis diagram on where those wires go. I think the single wire side is supposed to connect to the key switch and the two wire side connects to the passenger side microswitch and the top/blue spade connector on the 1204.

Right now I have one wire not connected on the passenger side microswitch that I think goes to the key switch, correct? Both wires on the driver side microswitch need to be connected somewhere but where? Lastly, there are two 18 gauge wires attached to the Battery positive lug on the solenoid. Any clue where those go?

Feel free to add your two cents here, tell me if I'm wrong with my assumptions above, and let me know if you have any idea where the dangling wires need to go.

Maybe I just need to pick up a double microswitch for the driver side of the FNR and stricly follow the EZGO diagram from there?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGo solid state wiring.jpg (214.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mellex_030-001_pg_124.jpg (62.9 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf curtis-controlers-1204.pdf (549.5 KB, 0 views)
dherweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
dherweck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 EZGO Curtis 1204 Controller from Melex

Anybody? No opinions? I really just need to wire the control wires (small wires). Key switch, FNR microswitches etc. All the power wires ( large wires) are run correctly.

Do I connect the forward and reverse microswitches together to power or through the solenoid or controller?

The Curtis diagram shows both microswitches connected to the pot box common and the pot box connected to keyswitch. The EZGO diagram shows the forward switch connected to the pot box microswitch and the reverse switch connected through the pot box directly.

Curtis diagram shows 10AMP inline fuse from battery to keyswitch, EZGO diagram doesn't show any fuse.

I'm mechanically inclined, work on my own cars and others. Just scratching my head as the Curtis controller is a black box and while I know the output lugs definition I don't know what happens inside the controller.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here's how the Ezgo microswitchs were wired.
The double microswitch closed in reverse only and was connected as follows. One microswitch activated the reverse buzzer. The second microswitch activated the reverse have speed option. (potentiometer connection)

The single microswitch was activated in both forward and reverse and connected key switch power to the solenoid activation circuit via the potentiometer microswitch. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
dherweck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty!

Now it's making more sense. The potentiometer that came with the controller was off a Melex and only has one two wire connector. So I'll need to go pick up a potentiometer with the dual 2 wire connectors to work on an EZGO?

One set of two wires for reverse switch and one set of two wires to Curtis controller?

See attached pics of what I have.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1432944081730-848085425.jpg (167.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1432944118759185504798.jpg (164.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The pot you have can be used. The cart just won't have the 1/2 speed reverse option and it won't need the double ms on the F&R .
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
dherweck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You've been a HUGE help Scotty!! Got it wired this morning and first tests look good. Now, I'm fabricating the throttle linkage to the pot box then road testing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO