lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
Sparrold
Not Yet Wild

Default Older Yamaha Frames vs Newer Yamaha Frames

I am looking for a few guys who really know Yamaha golf cars of different years. I want to build a project car. Between all the golf cars I've been on, I think the Yamaha has a better suspension and is therefore better suited to built up for higher speed. I put an ad on craigslist looking for a non-running, titled, Yamaha golf car and a guy with a 1980 contacted me. I'm concerned about the age and because he is two hours away, I can't readily look at it and only have the few pictures he sent me. My questions are:

Is the tube/pipe wall thickness of the frame the same, thinner, or thicker on the older Yamaha golf cars?

Are the over all dimensions similar on the older Yamaha golf cars (as compared with newer models)?

Is the suspension better or worse for high speeds on the older Yamaha golf cars?

Would anyone be concerned with metal fatigue on a 1980 golf cars?

Finally, of all the different brands of golf cars, which brand, in general do you think has the best suspension (if one is think of building a higher speed golf car?
Sparrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Older Yamaha Frames vs Newer Yamaha Frames

You should be looking for a G22 model. It has rack & pinion steering, and will be most stable at speed, better than older models with "steering box" steering. One model G5 had rack & pinion in 1990 era. The 1980 G1 has the simplest system yamaha built (suspension-wise).

Oh yeah, this is the "Ezgo electric" section, this should be moved to the "Yamaha electric" section.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Vertigo RT
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Agreed with cgtech, a G22 is the best all around. However, I still love my g14, lol
Vertigo RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Sparrold
Not Yet Wild

I looked at a G19E yesterday and an old G1 today. I'm telling you, I would have paid cash for the G19 if it had a title with it. I HAVE to have a title so I can put it on the street. The price wasn't too bad and he offered me a bill of sale, but that doesn't mean much in Arizona. Even if you get a vehicle titled and bonded, the previous owner can show and demand possession regardless of what you've put into it.

I'm trying to figure out which cart will have the best suspension for higher speeds. I know I should have posted this in the Yamaha forum but any suggestions on carts with the best suspension will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Yep im in Az too, and i got a bonded title on mine no problem (about $150 when all was done). In AZ, Always use a "DMV authorized agent", not the DMV. Not because of any "shady dealings", just because they see you as a valued customer, not a "Now Serving G-79" number, the state employees have zero incentive to help you, you are just another pain in their side. Our state allows other businesses to also serve most all of those needs, use them, they see you as a customer instead of a number. It may cost a few bucks more, but its worth it to be treated like a human.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
Sparrold
Not Yet Wild

I see that you've been active in this forum for quite some time. Do you know the differences between the various Yamaha models? Is the suspension better on late models? I gonna build up a project car for higher speeds. A guy is trying to sell me a titled G1 for $100.00 but I'd rather pay a grand or so and get a later model if the suspension was that much better. Of the many Yamaha carts, which model to you think has the best suspension.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

For speed, the newer "rack & pinion" models (G22 & Drive) will be most stable due to much "tighter" tolerences in the steering (less "slop" at steering wheel)
Old 06-02-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
Sarge50
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I thought this was the EZGO electric Forum???? Should be moved to the JAP forum
Sarge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You should be looking for a G22 model. It has rack & pinion steering, and will be most stable at speed, better than older models with "steering box" steering. One model G5 had rack & pinion in 1990 era. The 1980 G1 has the simplest system yamaha built (suspension-wise).

Oh yeah, this is the "Ezgo electric" section, this should be moved to the "Yamaha electric" section.
Has already been noted, must not be that big an issue. I dont have authority to move it. Nothing to see here...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO