lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
Feldifour
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2018 Club Car no power on sand

I have a 2018 Tempo with lift and large tires, on the street the things a beast, but when I am on sand it either wont move or breaks the rear wheel loose and digs a hole, I'm guessing I should have used more of a turf tire then the aggressive tire I bought. I am going to try the OEM tires next time I'm over at the beach, but in the mean time do you guys think its the lack of torque from the larger diameter tires is the problem? And if so what gears should I get and from who?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfcart (2).jpg (134.6 KB, 0 views)
Feldifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: 2018 Club Car no power on sand

If it is breaking the wheels loose and digging holes then there is now lack of power. You will need to air down the tires in the rear and add to the front for sand.
The rear tires need to be under inflated to "cup" the sand under the tire and not push it out of the sides.
Also try to even the load on both rear tires like sit in the middle if you are by yourself or move load around.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

My guess is that since there is only the right rear tire with traction (no positrac available with club car) then it is only going to dig in soft sand. I grew up in Daytona Beach and know all about traction in the sand. An aggressive take off in sand will only dig quicker. Must be very smooth takeoff on soft sand to prevent digging. Hope that helps a little.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d stay out of the sand traps. Last time I drove through one of those (lots of alcohol involved) the ranger yelled at us and almost threw us off the course. Apparently you’re supposed to stay near the cart paths

But really, what’s your tire pressure at? Common rule to driving on sand or mud is to lower the tire pressure significantly for the best traction. Same rule applies to keeps and trucks going off road.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
Feldifour
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I lowered the tire pressure, to like 15lb's and it didn't help, It has power on the board walks, we are at the beach with this and I see other fully loaded similar carts in the sand but with stock tires, I am thinking its a gear/Torque issue. My next step is to bring the original tire/rim combo back with me to the beach and swap back to them, if it works I think that would confirm my thoughts.
Feldifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Keep us posted on your results.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I air down to 8-12 psi when in the sand on other toys (not my cart)-you still may be too inflated.
simicrintz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
I air down to 8-12 psi when in the sand on other toys (not my cart)-you still may be too inflated.
I was going to say the same. A cart is pretty light and 15 is probably about what I would run on the street. You need lots of contact patch for sand or you sink and dig. I would say around 8psi max in sugar sand. Also critical is driving habits. You need to slowly ease into the throttle so you creep to start moving. If you goose it your tires are just going to spin in the loose sand and dig a hole. Which it sounds like is also happening.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

15psi is still to high, i hate to ask but what do you normally run on the street?
half your suspension is in the tires, a hard tire makes for a rough ride on pavement
i'd keep that tread, you need some bite in sand, agg tires work best in sand
i don't run is sand, but i run in snow. this tread pulls sleds just fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1110181722.jpg (182.5 KB, 0 views)
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car