lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with wiring new 48-12v converter

Love the help on this forum! Such a great resource and thanks in advance for all the help!

I am going to install a new 48-12v converter with a fuse box on my new Icon 40L. I am doing this mainly for ease of adding mods in the future (lights, radio, etc.). I will post the pics of what I have below.

Questions:

1. In the pic of the batteries below the rear of the cart is at the top...I am assuming the main negative is on the battery at the top left and the main positive is on the battery at the top right? This is where I am connecting the positive and negative from the converter.

2. It says these converters get hot and the structure that the batteries sit on is plastic...it is a very convenient spot to mount the converter but I don't want to melt the plastic...is there something I can put under it that is not a good conductor of heat? Or another location for the converter?

3. This is in regards to the negative ground wire...I need a negative ground coming off the converter but also one going to the fuse box...should I connect them off the same main negative battery post?

4. A general question about wiring...is my assumption that it is ok to use a larger gauge wire but not a smaller one correct? So if the wire on the converter is 16g its ok to use 14g but not 12g?

5. Do most people who do this hook it up to the ignition switch? This converter has a wire to do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E3906.jpg (187.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3907.jpg (395.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3909.jpg (144.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3908.jpg (293.3 KB, 0 views)
Drgordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #2
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help with wiring new 48-12v converter

Sorry by converter I mean reducer!!!
Old 09-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
rasbach@gmail.com
Not Yet Wild

Questions:

1. In the pic of the batteries below the rear of the cart is at the top...I am assuming the main negative is on the battery at the top left and the main positive is on the battery at the top right? This is where I am connecting the positive and negative from the converter.

- The batteries you want to connect to will be the ones that have an additional connection added to them, this is for the factory voltage reducer. I believe in your case, what you have described is correct.

2. It says these converters get hot and the structure that the batteries sit on is plastic...it is a very convenient spot to mount the converter but I don't want to melt the plastic...is there something I can put under it that is not a good conductor of heat? Or another location for the converter?

- Can you drill into the metal cross bar and mount it there, like the factory reducer is?

3. This is in regards to the negative ground wire...I need a negative ground coming off the converter but also one going to the fuse box...should I connect them off the same main negative battery post?

- I would send all grounds to the same location to avoid ground loops. If your fuse box has a negative bus, this is where you'd connect all of your grounds except the one from the fuse box to your battery. Otherwise, I'd connect them all to the battery.

4. A general question about wiring...is my assumption that it is ok to use a larger gauge wire but not a smaller one correct? So if the wire on the converter is 16g its ok to use 14g but not 12g?

- Yes, using larger wire is fine, but I think you describe 12ga wire as smaller than 14ga wire when it's actually bigger.

5. Do most people who do this hook it up to the ignition switch? This converter has a wire to do that.[/QUOTE]

- I think I'd run this through a separate switch personally so you can shut off the voltage reducer so that it doesn't drain your battery when you're not running your cart. Maybe use one of the blank panels on the dash by the cupholders to put in a rocker switch that will cut power to the reducer.
rasbach@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #4
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

curious as to the benefit of this since the factory reducer does the same? is it just the added wiring block? (which you can do with the factory reducer).
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
rasbach@gmail.com
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahfah View Post
curious as to the benefit of this since the factory reducer does the same? is it just the added wiring block? (which you can do with the factory reducer).
I think a lot of people prefer not to cut into the factory reducer.
rasbach@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

That was the case for me...I didn't want to mess with the factory one.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgordon13 View Post
That was the case for me...I didn't want to mess with the factory one.
Why? They just hooked up a reducer for the headlights/signals, dash, horn, USB ports, etc.

It's no different than yours except it's already wired, key-switched, and has a fuse block.

The only reason I'd add another is if I had a large load that exceeded what the factory one could handle.

I do understand the hesitancy because of the unknown, but it's really a pretty minor thing to tap into and saves a headache.

Either way, both work...just one with more work haha.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #8
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

So I got things hooked up but am having an issue....

I hooked the light kit I have up to the fuse box but nothing coming on...

I am pretty sure I am getting power to the fuse box (the reducer is getting a little warm which I was told it would and when I hooked the connector for the reducer wires up it made a little spark which again I think is normal)...

When I check voltage on the fuse block it is not giving me a good reading...either from the input poles on the ends or where I connected the wires from the light.

Can i check the voltage coming out of the reducer? If so, how?

I have attached some pics of my progress..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3941.jpg (185.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3942.jpg (162.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3943.jpg (187.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3944.jpg (179.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3945.jpg (166.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #9
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

Not sure if this matters and it may be my fix but I DID NOT hook the green wire up to the ignition switch...so is that not telling my reducer to output power?
Old 09-12-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

Sorry...if that is the case, is it the black or red wire on the ignition switch i need to tie into?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon