lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Polaris clutches???

Has anyone ever tried to adapt a Polaris atv primary clutch to a Vanguard or other 1" crank engine?

These clutches are 30mm taper, so an adapter could work, no? I've used the adapters for a stock golf cart clutch, but my adapter actually broke. I suppose if someone made a really good one out of high quality steel, it would work.

I'm seeing that the ATV clutches are larger diameter, like 8" vs 7.25" and the shift profiles are better, and they are rated for up to 80 hp.

Just changing the 7.25" clutch to the 8" clutch gives a 0.725 overdrive on most stock carts. This gives a 3 mph difference at 3500 rpm. Not sure it's worth it, but I'm betting the clutches perform better as far as engagement goes.

I know that the ATV belts are a little thicker, but that will only mean that the belt rides higher in the secondary clutch. Does that only affect low gear?

Just a thought.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Polaris clutches???

I've found a bunch of threads where people have talked about trying this but without any follow up data. I'm guessing it won't work.

I think the issue might be the length of the 1" crankshaft. Some say you can machine the inside of the Polaris drive clutch so there is more room for the long shaft, but I haven's seen it done.

I have not found any other info on the subject.

It just so happens that I have a Polaris 400 machine here with working clutches. I may just give it a try. I also am curious about the secondary clutch and if it's compatible with any golf cart transaxle. There is a rumor that the secondary might fit EZGO.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
875VA
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I have a secondary clutch from a Polaris Ranger on my 2005 EZGO 875. It slid right on and haven't had any problems at all. I had to mismatch the bolt and washer to bolt it on, but been working without any flaws. I think once I get my predator 670 motor finished the Polaris Ranger clutch will show it's potential with the higher power motor replacing the 350 MCI.
875VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 875VA View Post
I have a secondary clutch from a Polaris Ranger on my 2005 EZGO 875. It slid right on and haven't had any problems at all. I had to mismatch the bolt and washer to bolt it on, but been working without any flaws. I think once I get my predator 670 motor finished the Polaris Ranger clutch will show it's potential with the higher power motor replacing the 350 MCI.
What year Ranger? Are they all the same?

I wonder if the Ranger clutches are the same as the ATV clutches?

I'm really interested in this. If we can get a Polaris primary and secondary clutch to work together, we are talking some serious improvement in performance!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

a friend of mine bought a cart with a Polaris clutch on a predator motor, it does like 35+ MPH. little shady because the suspension needs to be tuned up lol
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellett5261 View Post
a friend of mine bought a cart with a Polaris clutch on a predator motor, it does like 35+ MPH. little shady because the suspension needs to be tuned up lol
What kind of cart was it? Ezgo?
Old 04-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yamaha g14 i think
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
875VA
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I'm not 100% sure, I think it was a 2007 Ranger. It works fine with the stock 350 MCI engine and with the predator 670 engine in it now, but I think it could use some spring adjustment to help out. My cart is lifted on 26" tires so it's likely It could be better if I had smaller tires.
875VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There is two Polaris primary that can be used, I think the atv one P90 is smaller diameter the sled one P85 is larger. There is some limited info if you look up the college engineering site where they build a buggy using them. They say start with the setup from the small Polaris atv I think a 250 or something. But what springs/weights to use ya, who knows. I am sure it would work much nicer that is a much nicer clutch, much smoother shifting with a roller. I would love to try one but barely have time to fiddle with what I have. I have the 94c dialed in but it is an old design and only can do so much. Its fine gas on but not so good at low speed or backshifting at low speed. So its great on trails not the best in yards, however its cheap and it does work ok.

When the comet 102 came out it was much better clutch on sleds. IIRC the Polaris is very similar. It uses a weight that swings out (3 of them) and rides on a roller. You can change the weight and shape of the roller face, so it has a ton of options. In fact I think I used Polaris weights in a comet 102 on a Yamaha sled.

My steel adapter I think is from CPP a long time ago. Its been on and off a hundred times with 3 different clutches. Still works like a charm. My crank is cut 1 1/8 long, short as it can be for adapter with no spacer behind it. You have to align the clutch by moving the engine sideways I guess. That is how I did it. The ezgo clutch is actually deeper inside the back, its closer to the block than the Yamaha which is good on clones. The stock Yamaha motor the crank is very short the taper ends nearly touching the block seal, in a G9. The clone engines always have that step in the crank about half inch long then it goes down to 1", so the crank sticks out more even cut short.

You also have to find out how the atv clutches work as they have a clutch behind the clutch, like a go cart clutch. This lets it idle with the belt/clutches not moving. The belt is run tighter no slack then. I don't know how it goes together on the atv, I don't think any sleds have that extra clutch in there. I don't know if it affects the primary or not far as using it for something else.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
randym
Not Yet Wild

It actually works very well on a 16hp vanguard swap. You need the D80 clutch weights and a 7041022 clutch spring. Easy to shift while running, engagement is good. I suggest running the polaris secondary clutch with the red spring.
randym is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!