lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Jerald j
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 48volt club car limthium battery exploded

Thought I would share my experience last night with you guys. So I did a lithium battery swap from ev battery center in my 2008 club car predecent golf cart about 2 years ago, (I would have been 12 at the time), I installed a big sound system on it with a sub, underglow, a lift kit, ect. Here’s what happened last night. I threw the battery on the charger when I came home from school aprox 4pm whaile I was installing a new tow/run switch, dash, tires, and a steering wheel cover. May I remind you that the battery was fully disconnected from the cart via the Anderson connector. After installing these I went inside and came back out to check the battery voltage at aprox 7 pm. As soon as I opened the door to the garage I smelled a funny smell, I went over to the battery and noticed it was bubbling a bit and leaking a fluid, knowing these battery’s can explode I quickly disconnected the charger and immediately pushed it out of the garage. I went to grab a fire extinguisher just in case and sure enough, when I came back out it was up I’m flames exploding like a fire work. I called the fire department and grabbed a hose and 4 fire extinguishers and immediately went to work, but that did nothing to put out the fire. Thank god we were able to get it out of the garage or the house would have burned down. I will attach a few pictures and videos of the event, the golf cart burnt to the ground. Hard to watch my whole childhood burn to the ground in front of me. Also a bummer I just installed a bunch of new parts on it literally the same day. I plan to upload the security tape footage to YouTube
Jerald j is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48volt club car limthium battery exploded

BigOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

First and foremost. Glad you and your house are safe! That is definitely a heart breaking experience, as well as scary!

I don't mean to seem heartless, but I think we are all wondering how this happened. So I am going to ask:

I did a quick look at your previous threads and see you got a Nissan Leaf battery pack "system" from evbattery.

Is it possible there was physical damage to the battery?
What charger were you using?
Were you using a BMS?
What LV/HV shutoffs were you using? Relays or contactor?

Again, glad you're ok!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

So was the battery charging disconnected from the cart?

What kind of BMS with cell level protection and charger disconnect circuit was being used?

Was there a temp sensor installed in the BMS?

Does the BMS control the charging current or just voltage?

I always try to build in more than the minimum redundancy safeties when working with lithium cells, lots of energy in those cells.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Wow, glad everyone is safe. You are going to be bombarded with questions as you might imagine, we are quite curious as to the details. I guess my first is, What voltage were these being charged to? We’re you taking them to the full 4.2v per cell? Once again, glad you and your family are ok.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Jerald j
Not Yet Wild

the battery was from ev battery center and I bought it fully assembled with a wifi bms installed in it, not really sure how it happened I guess there was a malfunction in the bms system, I was in touch with nick back before he passed, and we worked out my previous battery situation and he told me there wasn't any damage done to my battery, but I guess there was
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
Jerald j
Not Yet Wild

I was charging it though the bms with the charger I got from ev battery center
Old 02-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Well, one more time..glad you are safe. I guess let the speculations begin.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Subscribed. Scary. Now concerned about my conversion, which I haven't even really started other than ordering the batteries.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Glad you're safe.

I'm a little confused from your original post. You said you disconnected the battery then charged it? What parameters did you have the BMS set to, ie LV and HV disconnects???

What kind of problem did you originally have with the pack that Nick helped you through and how long ago was that?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, explosion, fire, fire truck, linthium battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car