lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
oscarvan
Not Yet Wild

Default Beer cart, siege weapon on golf cart frame.

That's about as concise as I can get with the title.

Let me elaborate and set the stage here. The fam hangs out in a medieval historical society. (the SCA) Think ren fair without spectators. We dress, put on armor and beat the crap out of each other and drink a lot of beer. There is an actual feudal structure with King and Queen, Prince and Princess and so on down.

Me, I'm artillery. I have an arbalest, a giant crossbow. Fires 4 foot plastic "missiles" with a foam tip on it. Think nerf gun on steroids. Range about 80 yards, very effective. I've killed 30 guys in an hour with 60 rounds of ammo.

This has to be mobile. Right now it's carts on wheels and we push and pull. Sometimes quite a distance, and frequently in hot weather in armor. You get the idea.

I also am a home brewer, and bring 5 gallon kegs to bring cheer to the populace. Right now I have a beer cart with three taps and yes, I push it around. Camp is up a hill at 2 in the morning and "help I've fallen and I can't push my beer cart" is often heard.

Sooooo, my twisted mind went a thinking and thought about getting a golf cart chassis, and making it look as medieval as I can. Basically a modular platform, and I can put the arbalest and ammo cradle on it, or take them off and put the beer box with taps on it. There may even be a place to store armor, or ladies' "stuff" and a place for tired ladies to sit and ride.

Now, this cannot be a vehicle that one sits on and steers. That would not be "period". I have to at least make an attempt at making it look medieval But, think Disney.

Steering will be two wood bars out the front connected to the nose wheel, it will actually look as if I'm puliing the thing. I may even put some faux wheels on there, or get some wooden wheels to put on the axle, although the diameter would have to be really small. This can get tricky. The steering wheel is gone, I just move the nose wheel. There is a hidden kill switch in one of the handles that basically replaces the key switch. The motor would be fixed in first or second gear, have to test that out. There will be a hatch to access that, and to select FWD/REV if necessary. I'm also thinking about linking the bars to the brakes in some way, so that if I'm going down a hill I can pull up on the bars so the thing doesn't run over me.

That's the basic concept.

So I went out and got myself an old beat up EZ-GO trike from the graveyard behind a dealer. The frame is reasonably solid. He promises the motor and rear end are OK, if not he will give me a used replacement. There are three tires that hold air.

Placard says EZGO Textron serial # 780320-150547 Does anyone know what model and year this is?

Motor says GE model 5BC48JB644A 2800 RPM 36V 55A

A few hours with an air wrench and a 4" grinder and here we are. (see photo) thinking about how I'm going to do this. All in wood, covering up all the steel and mechanicals. Still have to trim down the front end a little and I am thinking about shortening it a little, although I am not sure about that yet.

First off, if at all possible I would like to reduce the width. I have to skirt the wheels, and outside to outside they are now 48", making the widest point. A narrower wheel would make a huge difference and I think it would work as I am mostly on gravel/pavement/grass fields and not on delicate golf courses. Does anyone know if narrower wheels exist? Are the hole patterns similar to any lawn mowers?

Second, since I am only driving at a walking speed for maybe a mile, two miles tops between charges, and my weight will be quite a bit less than a normal cart with two large people and golf clubs in it, I was wondering if I could get away with 3-12V batteries instead of 6-6V..... If not, I live close to a battery factory and I can get seconds, but if at all possible I would like to save on weight there. Does anyone have some math on the usage of these things? The motor says 55A.... is that 55Ah, WOT? What is it in "first" or "second"?

Third, the resistors. I suspect these puppies get hot...... how hot? If I go nearby with wood I will probably have to put a thermal barrier, like a plumbers soldering cloth on there to keep from catching on fire....that would be a real bummer.

Lastly, if I do figure a way to get my 24" amish wooden wheels on the axle, is there a way to increase the resistance even more and have the motor turn even slower? Or would it not like that?

That's about it for now..... Have to go to work for a few days but will be working on this off and on.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPV1.jpg (170.9 KB, 0 views)
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Wow... Sounds ambitious! I do have some thoughts.

What about cutting the cart in half, and designing it kind of like a rickshaw with two handles coming out of either side of the front end and only using the two rear wheels?You could operate the throttle by using a motorcycle handlebar throttle on one side, and the brake could be a motorcycle hand brake on the opposite handle.

If it is balanced correctly it will hardly require any lifting on the handles. I would recommend battery trays in the stock location to hold half of the bank and fabricate some trays to hold the other half behind the rear wheels.

Try to avoid making the wheels too tall- you will be effectively reducing torque and increasing top speed, which is probably not what you want. Plus, braking will be much harder. It would be ideal to have the brakes somehow connected with the throttle so that it automatically engages the brakes as soon as the throttle is released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
oscarvan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Beer cart, siege weapon on golf cart frame.

Thanks Furyous. The rickshaw idea did cross my mind. Problem is I have different CG's for different loads, so keeping it balanced would get very tricky....

Yes, taller wheels would change things. Fortunately an electric motor has torque at all rpm's....

Just got off the phone with the guy that did the wagon wheels on my current beer cart (photo attached just for grins) and he had not made any to go on a golf cart...lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beer Cart.jpg (133.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The large wood wheels could be idlers just for show
with the stock tires masked off along with the front tire.
Just thinnen.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
oscarvan
Not Yet Wild

Yes, that's the way this is going now.....

Meanwhile I would love to have a 5 inch wide wheel/tire.

Is there such a thing? Not finding anything.

Also, I am assuming these tires are tubeless?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
jay_in_cgohio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know you already have the cart and it can work but I think something like a Segway would have been a better platform. Perhaps you could use the golf cart frame as the platform just for its size and engineer it more towards a Segway or think robot wars for the drive system.
jay_in_cgohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

They have a 12" x 4" trailer tire/wheel that is solid and smooth.The tires are about 15" tall,and about 3" wide,Its the same bolt-pattern as a cart.You could either cut the spoke design in it with a plasma-cutter,or have the wheels painted to look like the old wheels.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
speedgolfer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

do you have any pics of the battles or what you guys do
would love to see pictures of the events
sounds like a blast
speedgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

My idea would be to run the cart in reverse.

Take off the body, build a wooden cover that is flat across the the top and would cover the sides, front, and rear.

Use ATV handle bars and controls hooked to the front tire which now would become the rear tire.

I would not widen, lengthen, shorten the wheel base at all. Then you can make the platform as long or short as needed.

The idea is you would totally inclose the cart in a rectangular wooden cover, mount the wagon wheels to this cover. Think of a large shoebox that goes over the cart with a single pole coming out of the rear/front with the ATV style controls on it.
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

Blue Prints of Druken Death Cart

CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!