lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #101
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Got my money ready to buy the last of the batteries this week, and started a dirty job I have been avoiding- the rear end cover. This thing was caked with surface rust and flaking paint, so it had to be saved before I filled the rear end with fresh fluid.
Here it is after wire brushing and a bit of sanding.

I also took a body hammer and worked out some dents and dings. Nothing that would affect it structurally, but it made sense to take care of it while I had the cover off.
Then a coat of primer.

I think I will just replace the bolts with stainless ones. It would take way too much effort to refurbish the old ones. I'm going to paint the cover Chrysler orange ( as are the plans for the motor too, eventually).
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #102
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention that all was not perfect with the linkages and pedals. The threaded bar that holds the brake yoke goes right up against the high current cable once the brakes were adjusted. I devised a way around it- I mounted a piece of cast iron pipe connector with the rod threaded through it. It has a nice rounded inside lip so there is no rubbing or binding when the pedal is pressed. I mounted it with a stainless worm clamp, so it's not going anywhere and protects these all important cables from certain doom and potential fire hazard.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #103
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

First coat of paint on the diff cover.

Also, tidied up all the wiring, looks nice, neat, clean, and organized.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #104
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Failed experiment...

So I was thinking about doing a cool design out of skateboard grip tape on the floorboards. I thought about continuing the stripes across the floor in matching grip tape, flames, but settled on the idea of tiger stripes. I polished the front floorboard up,
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/26/qyhasere.jpg[/IMG
Then put door edge guards down the sides to give them a finished look.
]
Then I taped three sections of clear grip tape side by side.

I then laid out the design based on a google image.

Then I cut out a few dozen tiger stripes

I proceeded to go through the pain of trying to lay this sticky stuff down and not wrinkle.

I thought about using a soap and water solution to help position it, but I was so turned off by the look that I nixed the idea altogether. I think if I do it again, I will stick with just continuing the white stripes and orange pinstriping. They will be where the feet will be most of the time, anyways.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #105
Irishjoker
Tay-maha or Yama-dunn
Taylor-Dunn

Default Re: The officially official Cougar Scooter build thread

Speaking of feet, yours are looking pretty dirty there in the pic Fury!!
Irishjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #106
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishjoker View Post
Speaking of feet, yours are looking pretty dirty there in the pic Fury!!
I was wondering if anybody caught that! I was polishing the floorboard with a high speed grinder and a red pad. It was throwing black stuff everywhere , especially my feet since I was standing on it to hold it steady! Looks pretty gross now that I look back on it.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #107
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Default Re: The officially official Cougar Scooter build thread

Furyous my man...when do you ever sleep?
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #108
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moretoy View Post
Furyous my man...when do you ever sleep?
Sleep? What's that?

I figured out how to have friends over drinking AND get some work done on the cart. Invite two friends. That way they hang out while I tinker.

I'm having a heck of a time with the accelerator pedal. First it interfered with the brake pedal shaft, so I cut about an inch off, just planning to use the inner hole for the throttle linkage. Then I realized that there will not be enough pedal travel to reach full throttle, so I have to fabricate something that will not interfere with the brake pedal shaft but extend the end of the pedal so that the linkage will move the throttle enough. Maybe I could just program the alltrax to accept 0-3k ohms or something like that? Would save a lot of time and hassle.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #109
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Figured out a way around that pesky accelerator pedal issue. I can cut a small notch into the brake pedal tube, which would allow full range of motion on the accelerator pedal.

Also, a momentous occasion. I got started on the beginning of the never ending body work. These rocker panels were horrible, looking like someone cut them with a rake. There were two coats of rattle can paint that was bubbled and flaking in many spots. Holes were drilled to mount these with rivets, but with no discernible pattern or measurement.

I got my sander out and went to work.

Then, a coat of black primer followed by a coat of black semi- flat. A lot of the accents on this car will share the same paint- taillight panel, front spoiler, and headlight buckets.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #110
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

What a PITA! I got some time set aside today to take care of a few lingering issues, mainly the accelerator pedal/ brake pedal interference. Before I started, I got lazy and decided to clean and polish up the front wheels. Here is an after and before.

The polishing cone for my drill disintegrated, so I got to work on the notch to be cut out of the brake pedal assembly. With my high speed grinder in the garbage, my sawzall having no blades, it was up to my jigsaw with a metal blade to cut the perpendicular cuts. This metal tube is ridiculously thick- way more than would ever be needed structurally, especially since all it gets is torsional stress. I got the perpendicular cuts made, then tried my bench grinder to wear away the center. Hardly made a dent. I drilled holes side by side and stopped my drill press several times. I used my dremel with a cutoff wheel and had success with one side but not the other when my last cutoff wheel exploded. I cleaned up the perpendicular cuts with a hacksaw, the used a chisel and hammer to wedge it into the parallel cut, then pried until pop! The notch finally came out. I cleaned up the opening with a stone on the Dremel just to take the flash off since nobody will see it anyways. I put a coat of paint on it to keep it from rusting, test fit it and hooray! Both pedals operated independently of each other with no binding. Now, on to the accelerator linkage.

I tried to reuse the old linkage, but it is too long and bent to do much good. Still, I attached it so that I could get a feel for the pedals. What do you know? Now the linkage binds with the accelerator pedal! I was able to grind out a shallow notch, hit it with more paint, and NOW they work independently. I have to pick up some threaded rod now to get it to the right length.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides