lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
rib33024

Default Re: Marathon started struggling to go up a grade

44V measured with the charger still attached and reading at the battery terminal?

Yes this would be with the charger on and hooked to the batteries. The charger should take the battery pack up to around 46 volts before it turns off
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #12
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It doesn’t hurt to know what the pack voltage is at just before the charger shuts off... then again after the 12 hour rest

I suspect you’ve identified your issue... the digital meters are much more accurate but even those ain’t perfect... I have 2 digital meters and a multimeter and I get 3 different readings... They’re each .3V apart but still way better than a bar meter
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #13
baymee
Not Yet Wild

Yesterday at noon the battery voltage moved up to 38.9 from 36.3, 20 hours earlier. Today after another 28 hours of charging, the voltage is up to 40.3. So, it's going to be slow go.

I don't trust the male and female plug connection. It is very sensitive to movement and has to be plugged in just right. so that may be a necessary change in addition to the voltage meter.
baymee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by baymee View Post
Yesterday at noon the battery voltage moved up to 38.9 from 36.3, 20 hours earlier. Today after another 28 hours of charging, the voltage is up to 40.3. So, it's going to be slow go.

I don't trust the male and female plug connection. It is very sensitive to movement and has to be plugged in just right. so that may be a necessary change in addition to the voltage meter.
Good point, if the charger handle has to be plugged in "just right", thats a sure sign of problems at that point. But, if 28 hours of charging only increased voltage by 1.4v, I think theres a charger problem too. (Like a bad capacitor). Was the charger actually on & charging that whole 28 hours? (Or just plugged in for 28 hours).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #15
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Good point, if the charger handle has to be plugged in "just right", thats a sure sign of problems at that point. But, if 28 hours of charging only increased voltage by 1.4v, I think theres a charger problem too. (Like a bad capacitor). Was the charger actually on & charging that whole 28 hours? (Or just plugged in for 28 hours).
I also have to ask - what charger do you have? If it's one of those ebay cheapo's that only runs 5 amps that would explain the slow charging and extremely long charging times.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #16
baymee
Not Yet Wild

The bar graph volt meter is a Curtis brand. The charger is an EZGO _ _ Xtron total charge III with an output of 36V at 21A DC. The voltage is now up to 41.3 after another 18 hours. I should have a nice electric bill this month.

How hard to diagnose a bad cap?
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #17
baymee
Not Yet Wild

I found some info from JohnnieB that I'll look over this evening. I noticed my charger gauge is showing the needle on the far left, maybe 1 amp dc charging.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You definitely have a charger issue..

Your TV is drawing more kwhrs than that charger is at that rate... nothing to worry about
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
baymee
Not Yet Wild

Sometime in the last 30 hours, the charger shut off. The voltage now is 38.1. So, I plugged it in again and will see what it is tomorrow. It was 41.3, 30 hours ago, but moving up slowly.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #20
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

38.2 is considered 100% - measured 12 or so hours after the charger has shut off. That time allows the batteries to settle, so you are reading the actual state of the batteries instead of the residual effects of the charger. The end stage of the normal charging process is higher voltage at lower amperage, so it does need to settle before you can get an accurate reading.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO