lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
ggrant1978
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo jerks misses out

I have a 98 Ezgo txt 36 volt. When driving it cuts off on and the solenoid is clicking off and on as well. I replaced the solenoid this evening and it ran fine for 10 minutes then started the missing out again what could be the problem everything is stock as far as I know and put brand new batteries on it last week.
ggrant1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ezgo jerks misses out

Welcome to BGW!

You had and still have, an intermittent connection in the solenoid activation circuit.

What type drive system does your cart have, series or DCS?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
ggrant1978
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Welcome to BGW!

You had and still have, an intermittent connection in the solenoid activation circuit.

What type drive system does your cart have, series or DCS?
Its a series
Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a schematic for a series cart with the solenoid activation circuit traced.
Just connect your DVM negative lead to main negative terminal on battery pack and go looking for B+ (Battery pack voltage) when the cart is misbehaving.

Since it is an intermittent problem, you might have to attach DVM leads with alligator clips and monitor voltage while driving.

Or you might get lucky by just shaking some wire and tapping some switches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
ggrant1978
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Here is a schematic for a series cart with the solenoid activation circuit traced.
Just connect your DVM negative lead to main negative terminal on battery pack and go looking for B+ (Battery pack voltage) when the cart is misbehaving.

Since it is an intermittent problem, you might have to attach DVM leads with alligator clips and monitor voltage while driving.

Or you might get lucky by just shaking some wire and tapping some switches.
There's a wire running from controller labeled A2 that isn't hooked up but it looks like it was at one time. Should that be hooked up somewhere.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That cable isn't needed for cart to run and isn't causing the problem you are having.

It is for "Plug" braking, which is a whole new topic.

I'd either remove it completely or wrap the ends with electrical tape and tie it down so it couldn't touch anything.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
ggrant1978
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
That cable isn't needed for cart to run and isn't causing the problem you are having.

It is for "Plug" braking, which is a whole new topic.

I'd either remove it completely or wrap the ends with electrical tape and tie it down so it couldn't touch anything.
Ok will do thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrant1978 View Post
I have a 98 Ezgo txt 36 volt. When driving it cuts off on and the solenoid is clicking off and on as well. I replaced the solenoid this evening and it ran fine for 10 minutes then started the missing out again what could be the problem everything is stock as far as I know and put brand new batteries on it last week.
There is a black box under the floor that houses the throttle control ( ITS ). Follow the wires from it and you will find a plug connector. Undo this and clean it's contacts ( both male and female ends ). These cause lots of problems! If that doesn't help, remove the floormat and there is a cover for the ITS under the mat. Take it off and see if there is any water in the housing. If no water, with the cart in neutral and the key off, press the pedal slowly and listen for a click from the micro switch. It should click with a little movement of the pedal. Just because it clicks does not mean it works electrically, though. You will still want to do " JohnnieB's " tests with the meter. Be careful! It would be a good idea to have the rear wheels of the cart raised on jackstands when you do the electrical tests!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
ggrant1978
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
There is a black box under the floor that houses the throttle control ( ITS ). Follow the wires from it and you will find a plug connector. Undo this and clean it's contacts ( both male and female ends ). These cause lots of problems! If that doesn't help, remove the floormat and there is a cover for the ITS under the mat. Take it off and see if there is any water in the housing. If no water, with the cart in neutral and the key off, press the pedal slowly and listen for a click from the micro switch. It should click with a little movement of the pedal. Just because it clicks does not mean it works electrically, though. You will still want to do " JohnnieB's " tests with the meter. Be careful! It would be a good idea to have the rear wheels of the cart raised on jackstands when you do the electrical tests!
Ok will do this evening thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I may be running in from left field with only 2 outs but,
I would like to see a DVM connected to the battery pack mains and get a reading when the cart runs good for 10 minutes then when the solenoid cuts in and out.

Is there a significant voltage drop at the pack?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO