lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
SuperTroye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Convert Lester Onboard charger to plug-in type

Hi All, I just bought a used 2013 CC DS. It came with a Lester Summit Onboard charger model 27800. It was wired directly to the to battery pack neg. and positive. Well, I want to reclaim the space where it was mounted under the back seat and convert it to a shelf type plug-in charger. I've since disconnected and removed it in hope of converting it to use the plug.

Question: what is needed to use this charger and use the plug? I know I would need to buy the 3 pin plug and solder the connections to the charger. But, after this it seems like more work needs to be done like bypassing or removing the OBC and setting the charger in Offboard mode.

I'm new to golf carts so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
SuperTroye is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Convert Lester Onboard charger to plug-in type

That is a high frequency charger, meaning you have/had the ERIC system on your cart and do not have an OBC. They are ~supposed to be factory configured for both on-board and off-board usage. Check the manual for sure.

Here is a link to your manual https://www.golfcartgarage.com/conte...51_D%20(4).pdf
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

While that is a great charger, it can only function in one mode at the time (on-board or off-board).

Download the "ChargerConnect" App for your phone or scan the QR code on the charger.

Once you connect the App to the charger using Bluetooth, go to "System Profile" and make sure there is not a check mark on "On Board".

That app also provides a ton of information on the pack health and charger performance.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
SuperTroye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
While that is a great charger, it can only function in one mode at the time (on-board or off-board).

Download the "ChargerConnect" App for your phone or scan the QR code on the charger.

Once you connect the App to the charger using Bluetooth, go to "System Profile" and make sure there is not a check mark on "On Board".

That app also provides a ton of information on the pack health and charger performance.
Thanks for the tip, but I have the original Summit, and not the Summit II, which the app is only available for.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
SuperTroye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
That is a high frequency charger, meaning you have/had the ERIC system on your cart and do not have an OBC. They are ~supposed to be factory configured for both on-board and off-board usage. Check the manual for sure.

Here is a link to your manual ...
Ok thanks, I looked at the manual and it only says it was configured one way or the other, but to contact the dealer if you want to change it. So, they can run either. I just don't know how to change it, or how to plug it in to the receptacle.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
SuperTroye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post

Here is a link to your manual
I looked under the seat where the batteries are found this:

IMG_6717.jpg

Is this an OBC?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is an OBC and you will have to see if they bypassed it as it. I assume so as that is why the have the high frequency/automatic charger.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree, the only possible issue (configured as on-board) is that the lockout circuit will not prevent the cart from driving when the DC cord is plugged to the cart if the charger is not plugged to the wall AC.

Just run all three wires to the new 3 prong club car plug.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #9
SuperTroye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update: I've removed the OBC and the related wiring and need to get this put back together. The previous set up had the charger wired directly to the battery negative and positive. I just need to know what to do to use the receptacle with my Lester charger.

I'm including pics of the current situation. It looks like at a minimum i'll need a negative charge cable from the receptacle to the battery negative. Is there anything else?

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car