lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Brian5117
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Brake & Light Wiring Question - 2009 Club Car Precedent

My friend and I each recently bought two 2009 Club Car Precedents (IQ) - 6 x 8volt Trojan batteries. Instead of just paying to have someone at a local shop install things like lift kit, tires/wheels, light kit, etc., we decided that we would do some research and do it ourselves. We also thought this would be a good way for us to learn our new carts. So, I bought the MadMax basic light kit and, after a bit of a learning curve, was able to install the basic light kit (dash switch, front bumper/light, and rear lights (w/ bucket harness). Not too bad... except the instructions said there should have been a "blue wire" at battery #3 to connect the positive end of the battery hook-up (I hooked up the negative black bullet connector of battery hook-up wire to the black bullet connector from behind battery #4 (towards the rear of battery compartment). Getting power was relatively easy .... I just used my voltmeter from the black bullet connector and found out which battery's positive was 16V -- ring connector and I'm good -- all lights work. I realize this will drain these two batteries more than the bank, but I plan on connecting a converter or reducer in a month or so. I still don't know why the MadMax instructions said there would be another "blue connector" in the battery connector.... the only one i saw was the one off Batt #1 and i know that would give me 48V and that's no good. So, if anybody knows about this mysterious second blue connector, I'd love to know what i'm missing.

But, the real question is on my buddy's cart (same as mine). He bought a phantom body kit (he liked the separate headlights instead of the one light bar), but it also came with a premium light kit and harness (bucket harness, taillights, headlights, turn signal, brake light kit, etc.). We hooked everything up and everything worked except the brake lights. We spent hours trying to get the brakes to work. The diagram with the delay and circuit breaker were not great, and when we tested it with a voltmeter, we were getting power (~14V) from the black wire, but nothing from the other two. If anyone has a better picture or instructions on that part (i.e. from the brake switch through the delay and circuit breaker) it would be much appreciated.

Finally, he went out to mess with it again today and told me there was a grey bullet connector not plugged into anything on the new light kit harness behind the dash. I told him that on my MadMax Basic Light Kit, it had a grey wire with a red bullet connector that simply connected to the same color on the existing harness. Told him to look for it on the existing harness as it might be hidden with the other wires. Well, apparently he found it and connected it. He didn't think anything of it until he took the cart for a test drive and found that it ran really slow. He got back home and noticed it was in TOW. He switch it to RUN and everything was fine. So, he unplugged that grey bullet and it ran fine in RUN and did NOT run in TOW - back to normal. The only thing we can think of in looking at the Illustrated Parts List ('09-11) is that somehow he linked in/bypassed the TOW switch. Anybody have any idea on this one ?

Sorry for the long post.... Just trying to get to know these carts better. Seems like chasing a rabbit down a hole on his brake issue though. I'm going to buy the MadMax Ultimate Upgrade Kit so i get my turn signals, brakes, and horn and see if i have any issues. I think his might be related to the harness and kit that came with the Phantom Kit. Thanks again.
Brian5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brake & Light Wiring Question - 2009 Club Car Precedent

. . . welcome to BGW . . . as soon as Tahoe see this, he will probably have your answers . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Brian5117
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Steve. I'm just learning this stuff (but its fun as I learn), so hopefully Tahoe can provide some much needed insight for us.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Brian5117
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, aparently my friend figured out the brake issue. The red wire in the bucket harness for the "hot" side of the brake was not getting any power -- probably bad wire or broke loose somewhere in the harness. He laid out a new positive wire from the battery pack to the brakes (and circuit breaker/delay) and everything works. Still not sure why he had the issue with the RUN/TOW switch when he connected that grey bullet behind the dash. I did the same thing (with a different bucket harness) and mine is fine (no go in TOW). I'm taking my cart over there tonight to compare. Maybe we'll figure something out.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
kantuckian
Gone Wild

I have the same problem the red wire inn the bucket harness for the brake lights feed is not hot can anyone tell me where it hooks from save me from having to run another wire to the brake lights
kantuckian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckian View Post
I have the same problem the red wire inn the bucket harness for the brake lights feed is not hot can anyone tell me where it hooks from save me from having to run another wire to the brake lights
You have to have a working 48 Volt relay hooked up to the instrument panel harness behind the dash. You also have to have a horn or turn signal kit plugged in if you want the brake lights to work. The horn connector/turn signal kit has a jumper that jumps the brown, yellow, and white wires together to make the brake lights work. Brown is the hot coming in, yellow is the the passenger side, and white is for the driver's side.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Jknipfel
Not Yet Wild

I too have a 2011 Precedent. I purchased the light upgrade kit with turn signals, horn, front and rear lights and brake lights. Everything is installed and working correctly except the brake lights. I have seen some videos where it shows a factory harness sitting inside of the console area (the area where the brake cables connect to the brake pedal); however, I do not see that factory harness. Did the 2011 have such a harness awaiting, or do I need to tap into other wires that are running from the front wiring to the back near the batteries? Could the harness be tucked so far inside of the console, or underneath of the cart I can't see them? Other than not being able to find the harness, I am ready to go as far as the timer and circuit. I just need the 3 wires from the cart to connect to the timer and circuit. I look forward to any feedback you guys may have. Thanks!
Jknipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

There should be 3 wires for the brake timer, under the floor where the timer goes ( also this is where the mcor is located).

Besides these 3 wires, you still need the relay that you will install behind the key console,.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Jknipfel
Not Yet Wild

Smokey, the relay is there. I had to install it when I put in the main harness for the overall kit. As far as the 3 wires for the brake light connection, i searched pretty hard in the area under the floorboard where the install instructions suggest they'll be. Any chance this year of model didn't have that harness readily available, or am I looking in the wrong place or simply not looking hard enough?

Thanks
Jknipfel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, club car, lighting kit, lights, phantom
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car