lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
clifton63
Not Yet Wild

Default Axle Bearing

On a 2004 DS, are the axle bearings on the inside of the seal? Is there an inner and outer bearing on each side? I had an axle submerged in salt water. The wheels turn fine, there was no water penetration in the tranny itself. I suspect the bearing seals held as well and water did not penetrate into the axle tube. If there is an bearing outside of the seal I suspect it is sealed and if so, would that mean "water tight"? I removed the clip from the hub, but the axle would not slide out. Not sure how to pull it. Please advise
clifton63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: Axle Bearing

The axle bearings are outboard of the oil seals.. The "seals" on the bearings are designed to keep the grease in the bearing and dust out.. They are not designed to be water resistant.. On the axle in my rebuild, salt water had seeped between the bearing and the oil seal and corroded the outer race to the axle tube.. It took a 5 pound slide hammer and the use of a torch and a lot of foul words to get the axles removed from the tubes.. Both axle bearings had to be replaced.. Replacing the bearings requires the use of a hydraulic press.. The bearing retainer rings have to be replaced also, as they are not designed to be reused..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
clifton63
Not Yet Wild

Thanks John that is exactly what I needed to know. BTW, I am back on track with my rebuild. I spent 4 hours on Sunday tweaking the frame. It is ALL ON THE MONEY now. I used the oak trees again as a frame hold and used my 3 ton floor jack turned sideways as a frame press. worked better and was more precise than the come along. I bought a used Advanced 11hp motor on Ebay today for $150. This is their torque/speed motor. It looks barely used and retails for $900. It has the fan design so the motor breathes. I am going to probably bite on the 480 amp logisystems controller for $280. I have read good things about them. I am still trying to stay under $3000 for the total build. I bought a parts car over the weekend which also had a bad frame (i bought it for the frame and discovered the issue after I got home with it and seller wouild not give me my money back) but there are many other parts I can use and sell the rest on Ebay.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
clifton63
Not Yet Wild

to pull the axle out of the tube, do you have to unbolt it from the diff first?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton63 View Post
to pull the axle out of the tube, do you have to unbolt it from the diff first?
No... There is a large internal snapring behind the axle flange that must be removed before the axle can be pulled from the tube.. To remove the snapring, you need a pair of 90 degree snapring pliers..

Do yourself a favor and get a FACTORY service manual for this cart.. It will be the best money you spend on it..

Club Car Type G Axle Breakdown

Club Car Type K Axle Breakdown
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

I hope you keeping this cart and not selling it!!!!
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS View Post
No Chit!!

That frame is an accident looking for a place to happen with all it's been thru.. Aluminum that is repeatedly bent will work harden and become brittle, it can fail without warning.. I had a friend with over 30 years experience in working with/welding aluminum give the frame on my rebuild a thorough inspection.. It had numerous hairline cracks in several welds due to the normal flexing during operation.. He cleaned up and rewelded several of the crossmember welds in critical areas.. And since he knew that this was going to be a performance build, he added some extra gussets in areas he's seen fail on other CC frames he's repaired over the years..
Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
clifton63
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. I would not be going forth with the project if I was not comfortable with this frame.

Even before I started with this frame I inspected and found some cracks in welds where the round tube under the cowl joins the side. There were also some small cracks in the front plate bumper. In looking at some used carts, I found cracks in these same areas. Seem to be trouble spots. After I fixed the frame I went over EVERY weld and took it to a welder. He welded every weak spot (cracks and what appeared to be a structurally week weld) with double the metal that the factory puts in. This frame is solid now. There is no accident waiting to happen. I did not bend it back and forth and back and forth and back and forth which does weaken aluminum. I assure you this frame is more solid than it came from the factory and it is straight as an arrow.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
A.D.
Gone Wild

ttt
A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Universal_Mechanic
Not Yet Wild

I just fixed one today where the axle slid out, off the bearing and retainer, .... Cart would not move due to the splines being seperated. I think somebody put a bearing in it improperly

I pressed it all back together, then tack welded the retainer in 3 small places so it couldn't slide apart again if it wanted to. Can anyone remember what color the bearing end seals are originally? This one had orange and I think they were black stock, .... Would confirm my suspicions of previous improper assembly ....not that its really important, I just like playing automotive detective sometimes, lol (or in this case golf cart detective, haha)
Universal_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car