lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default Upgrading controller, motor, solenoid, f/r, and all cables. How hard is it?

I found a great deal on all the parts. I want to do it all at one time. Everything is took apart, cleaned, and ready to install.

But looking at the big pile of cables, and all the plugs, I'm overwhelmed. Is it hard and how long should it take?

I called every golf cart shop around and no one wanted to do it. At least 6 places. Here's my plans.

It's all going in a stock 95 ezgo series cart. The parts came out of the same year cart.

Axe 4865 controller, 650 amps
48v solenoid
Emp 2 stage speed / torque motor with switch
Buying upgraded f/r switch
2 awg welding cable for entire cart.
Buying 2 more 6v, Trojans, mine are new also.
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
GABulldawg
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Upgrading controller, motor, solenoid, f/r, and all cables. How hard is it?

Funny I just came in for a short break from out in the garage. Literally doing the same thing, except the motor. Slowly breaking it all down now and taking pictures. I will let you know when I am done!
GABulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Upgrading controller, motor, solenoid, f/r, and all cables. How hard is it?

Its confusing to a noob, but not really very difficult. Im suprised no one will even quote you a price :(.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
GABulldawg
Not Yet Wild

So...its a solid afternoon. At least for noob like me! Haha. Never messed with electric carts before, so ripping all the old stuff out and starting from scratch with a totally different wiring schematic was a little intimidating, but it's all good. Take your time. Pay attention. Check and double check.
GABulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

Not hard at all. Find you a good schematic and don't be afraid to change a few things that you think will work better for you. I always use the key to power up my controller and f/r and throttle micro for the contactor. Just makes sense to me to not cycle control power to the controller every time I left off the throttle but that's just me.
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

I live near plum quick motors, so I stopped by and talked to the owner. After I explained everything, he said they could do it. They are behind so it'll be a few weeks.

Most cart people around here are side job types that mainly do lift kits and wheels.

It does sound bad, used parts going into a 95 ezgo. But I found a gem with this series cart. Its been garaged 99% of its life. All stock and It's as clean as 95 can get.

It's going to be a high speed budget build.

$750 golf cart
$710 Trojan batteries
$420 alltrax 650 amp controller
Emp upgraded motor
Eagle products 48v charger
48v solenoid
2 awg cables for entire cart

Total so far $1880

Parts coming up are, 2 more batteries, f/r switch, and I have some 12" wheels I need tires for.

I'll try to keep it under $2,500 for everything. That's insane considering just the speed upgrades could run close to $2,000 depending on where you get them.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

You got a heck of a deal on the motor controller if that's all you paid for both. You basically bought the controller and got everything else free.
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwayaustx View Post
You got a heck of a deal on the motor controller if that's all you paid for both. You basically bought the controller and got everything else free.

It came out of a hunting cart. The front spindle was broke, battery tray rusted out, and the batteries were going out. The guy didn't have the money to fix it, so he traded it to a mechanic shop for $600 worth of mechanic work.

The mechanic only wanted his $600. It was too far away to get the whole cart, so I stripped it pretty much for $420

Emp 2 stage motor with switch
650 amp alltrax controller
48v solenoid
Eagle 48v charger
Old, timer Ezgo charger 36v (probably broken)
2 hubs
Camo front seats
Every 2 awg wire throughout the cart

I drove 3hrs one way to get it. I got lucky. The craigslist ad said ezgo motor and controller $300, that was it.

When I called and found out what it was I left that day to get it.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you went to PQ you probably talked with Rick, Robbie or Pops.. All good people and they will take care of you.. Just tell them you want one like his new RXV he is building..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Never working on Golf Carts, or electric motors in general, I was able to do it relatively easy. Of course, that was with the help of this forum. If you get stuck or want to double check anything, just ask.

One trick I used to remove/install the motor, was to take the weight off by wrapping a ratchet strap around it, and hooking the strap up to the frame of the seat back. Made the removal and the install really easy.

As far as wiring, the diagrams I was provided were pretty straight forward on what goes where. I laid everything out and marked the where the ends go, based on the diagram....

Biggest trouble I had were dealing with corroded bolts/nuts on the F/R switch, and attaching the stock controller to the heat sink.
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO