lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Testing an FSIP controller

I'll preface this by saying the problem started after I adjusted the trim pots on the controller. I adjusted the current limit and acceleration to max (all the way CW).

I drove out of my garage just fine to the street, stopped it completely, then floored the go pedal and the cart surged forward about a foot then dead. Solenoid clicks but no movement in forward or reverse.

A few things I've done to troubleshoot:

1. Checked all connections to make sure they were tight.
2. Disconnected pins 2 and 3 from the controller and got 0-5k on the PB-6 pot.
3. I get pack voltage on the small posts of the solenoid when the go pedal is pressed.
4. When I connect my DVM to M and B- on the controller, I get pack voltage when depressing the go pedal just enough to make the solenoid click. But shouldn't the reading drop back down to zero when the pedal is fully depressed? Mine doesn't.
5. When I connect my DVM to S1 and A1 on the motor, put the cart in forward and press the go pedal, I get nothing. Switch it to reverse and press the pedal I get pack voltage. Same thing on S2 and A2; pack voltage in reverse, nothing in forward.
6. The motor tested fine.

I'm stumped. Is it the controller? If so, it's weird that adjusting the settings would cause this because I've had zero issues with it over the past 4 years.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Testing an FSIP controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
4. When I connect my DVM to M and B- on the controller, I get pack voltage when depressing the go pedal just enough to make the solenoid click. But shouldn't the reading drop back down to zero when the pedal is fully depressed? Mine doesn't.
You are correct, to test what the controller is putting out to the motor it is read between the M- on the controller and the B-. The voltage should be about 48vdc (or pack voltage) when the pedal is pushed just enough to engage the solenoid and then decreasing to 0vdc when the pedal is pushed all the way to the floor.

You mentioned pack voltage at the small posts, but did not confirm the contactor was closing in. If it is and the current is transferring across it, then your controller has failed as you have throttle input and current coming into it and nothing coming out...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

As those pots are wipers it is possible that you have a dirty connection in them. Spray some contact cleaner in them and turn them back and forth. May not work but worth a try.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You mentioned pack voltage at the small posts, but did not confirm the contactor was closing in. If it is and the current is transferring across it, then your controller has failed as you have throttle input and current coming into it and nothing coming out...
That was the conclusion I was coming to also

On the large posts of the solenoid, should I get pack voltage with the pedal pressed?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
As those pots are wipers it is possible that you have a dirty connection in them. Spray some contact cleaner in them and turn them back and forth. May not work but worth a try.
I'll give this a try but I'm not too hopeful since it's been kept high and dry since I've had it and the trim pot covers have never been removed.

You think MAF cleaner be okay to use?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not sure what it would do to circuit boards.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

MAF sensor cleaner is safe for all electronics.

You may want to try testing the motor with a battery just to be sure you didn’t cook one of the windings in the motor.

Kinda sounds to me like the controller fried. Cranking up the amperage to max is like turning an audio amp to max and running the biggest sub you can find at full volume. Too much current trying to move at one time, somethings not gonna survive.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
That was the conclusion I was coming to also

On the large posts of the solenoid, should I get pack voltage with the pedal pressed?
If you have a resistor, it should be .5 to 1 volt less on the controller side with no pedal. Depress the pedal and if it (contactor) closes in, should now have full pack voltage if running the meter between the post and Main Pack Negative (MPN).
Old 06-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
MAF sensor cleaner is safe for all electronics.

You may want to try testing the motor with a battery just to be sure you didn’t cook one of the windings in the motor.

Kinda sounds to me like the controller fried. Cranking up the amperage to max is like turning an audio amp to max and running the biggest sub you can find at full volume. Too much current trying to move at one time, somethings not gonna survive.
Motor passed the resistance test and spun with 12 volts applied.

When I say I adjusted the current limit to max, it was like a 1/16th of a turn. Not much. But regardless, I would be upset to know turning my 700 amp controller up to 700 amps would cause it to fail.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Motor passed the resistance test and spun with 12 volts applied.

When I say I adjusted the current limit to max, it was like a 1/16th of a turn. Not much. But regardless, I would be upset to know turning my 700 amp controller up to 700 amps would cause it to fail.
Probably blew an FET....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car