lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Suprbean89
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G2 needs more torque

Hey everyone
I have a 1990 Yamaha g2. Stock. Has ran great for years, never any issues. I recently installed a 4” lift kit with 10” wheels and 20” tires. Also added in a rear seat. With the extra weight, I’m having trouble making it up hills with just myself. Typically I would be using the golf cart to drive to my boat dock with 2 adults.

What should I purchase to get me more low end torque for getting up the hills?

I know everyone recommends plowmans parts. But has anyone had any luck with golf cart king parts? Probably more in my budget than plowman.

Thanks for the help!
Suprbean89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G2 needs more torque

Buy once cry once.

You’re not going to beat the quality or performance you’ll get from plowmans. He will tune the carb or clutching or whatever needs to be done to exceed your expectations.

Golf cart king sells aftermarket nivel stuff. Same generic stuff you get from eBay or Amazon.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Well, what you are experiencing is the 8-9 hp of the stock engine. Maybe 6-7 hp if it has lots of hours. So, think of this. 600 lb cart, two 200 lb adults makes that 1000 lbs, add in a lift and tires and two more passengers and you could be in the 1500 lb range fully loaded.

So 8hp to 1500 lbs = 187.5:1 weight to power ratio.
A stock full sized sport atv will be around 11:1 ratio.
A stock Polaris RZR is like 13:1
A nice sports car will be 9:1.

So, yes, golf carts need more power to go up and down hills with lots of weight. They were really designed to go 8 mph on a smooth golf course with two people and their clubs.

My recommendation would be a Vtwin engine like a Predator 670 or a 23hp Vanguard. With those engines your weight to power would now be around 60-70:1 fully loaded, a dramatic increase.

Speed and power is directly related to your budget. The more you spend, the more you smile.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Correct, but HP is only a part of the equation. Gearing has a lot to do with it as well. Mechanical advantage. I’ve had carts turning 25” tires that will still pull a loaded ~1500lb trailer without a problem.

A good clutch setup and belt and you’d be surprised what kind of power you can get out of one of these little things. My G9 would climb the hill by my boat ramp without breaking a sweat or slowing down at all… that hill was approx 1/4 mile long and about a 30-40 degree angle the whole way up. Most my electric carts would drop half or more of their speed. (I have videos lol). My crusty old G9 would walk right up it without missing a beat. My club car would accelerate up that hill on 25” tires.

Amazing what these little engines are capable of
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Suprbean89
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. Budget is not huge. Just looking to get it to where I can use it for driving over to my boat and not struggle up the hill on the way home. I’ve got the atvs and rzrs already so I don’t need the golf cart for speed and fun.
Suprbean89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Bigger engine won't get you more speed, just more power and torque. The gearing and rpm determine your top speeds. For me 25 mph is fast enough in a cart. I can tell you that on the hills of Southern Ohio, my stock cart could never travel up hill more than 8 mph. With a Vtwin it would go 25 mph on the same hills. Anytime I hear someone say "more torque" I assume they are looking for an engine upgrade. Stock engines are limited in how much power and how they deliver it. Even Plowman's parts and tuning won't increase the engine's torque output much, just the rpm at which the clutches shift and hold under load.

If your current setup isn't good enough, upgrades are necessary, assuming your current clutches, belt, and engine are operating properly of course.

Plowman's Carts has a kit for your cart
https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1614271358&v=2

Again, if your current engine is up to par, this kit will make quite a bit of difference. With that said, it's still a 9 hp engine. Hills are all subjective in their size and grade so no one here can tell you for sure if your cart is doing what it's supposed to on those hills. Only you can determine what's best for your situation. A call to Don Plowman with a description of what you want to do with your cart will ensure you get what you want and need. He does engine upgrades and Vtwins too, so even he knows there's limitations to a stock cart engine.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha