lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question High Speed Gears...???

Just Curious... Does anyone have any experience in switching to Higher Speed Gears in an electric Club Car - I have an '05 Precedent IQ 48V Regen and the top speed seems to be right at 19mph (on flat pavement or slight downgrade). I'd like to get 5 to 6 additional mph out of this cart.
people have suggested: 1) Hi Speed Gears and/or larger tires. 2) Swapping out Motor and/or controller with heavier gauge wiring, etc.

I'm not sure which route would be more efficient - the cart is used primarily for golf but also for road travel in a golf cart community. Wouldn't want to give up a tremendous amount of run-time.

Curious to hear if anyone has switched out the gears in the rear end of one of these (Precedent) models and what (if any) the downsides of taking this approach might be.??

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may have to offer.

dr.jim.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Default Re: High Speed Gears...???

dr.jim,
Based what I have learned here, I would say forget the gears for now and get a 400 prog. Alltrax controller. I "hear" it will give a Precedent 24mph without compromising any torque(which regearing will do). It will actually give you a little more torque and speed. I know a couple of members here have had very good results, just upgrading the controller. Good luck.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS View Post
dr.jim,
Based what I have learned here, I would say forget the gears for now and get a 400 prog. Alltrax controller. I "hear" it will give a Precedent 24mph without compromising any torque(which regearing will do). It will actually give you a little more torque and speed. I know a couple of members here have had very good results, just upgrading the controller. Good luck.
Thanks..BS'r

I've read a bit about swapping out the controller but wasn't sure how much run-time (between charges) a person might lose... 10%? or 20% or...???

and I also haven't see if this 400 Alltrax controller must necessarilly eliminate the REGEN feature where the brakes help to put some charge back into the batteries.

If any of you folks out there can speak to these issues... it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again!!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

well as a rule nothing is free, add 10% to speed and it will come from somplace.
Bigger controller = more amps = More Torque, More Speed - less run time.
Bigger tires = loss of torque , more amps = more Speed = less runtime
Bigger wires = less heat loss (amps) in wires = more speed - same run time

But here is another way to look at it,
If you are covering 23 Miles in 1 hour
insted of 19 miles in 1 hour,
You will need to run the Cart less time to get from point A to Point B .
It's all relative.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorrison View Post
well as a rule nothing is free, add 10% to speed and it will come from somplace.
Bigger controller = more amps = More Torque, More Speed - less run time.
Bigger tires = loss of torque , more amps = more Speed = less runtime
Bigger wires = less heat loss (amps) in wires = more speed - same run time

But here is another way to look at it,
If you are covering 23 Miles in 1 hour
insted of 19 miles in 1 hour,
You will need to run the Cart less time to get from point A to Point B .
It's all relative.

Ahhh... some good points.

I'm thinking that perhaps getting bigger wires and slightly bigger wheels/tires might be the way to start. If I could get 22-23mph (instead of just 19), I think that this might be enough.

Someone else told me that if you switch controllers (i.e. 225 to 400 amp, for example) that you will use the higher amperage ALL of the time. In other words, whether we are driving the
cart on the golf course at 7-8 mph or on the street at 22-23mph... it would use the higher amperage level (say 400) and consequently reduce run-time even when only being operated at
the same lower speeds that the smaller controller is capable of.

Does this make sense to you? Is this your understanding of how these things work? I apologize for my lack of knowledge on these subjects - as I said earlier someplace on this thread....
I am a total NEWBIE to both this Forum and the world of cart ownership.

Thanks!! Again for your reply and the input/feedback.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

That is just not true about using the max amps all the time.
If means you will get more amps with less peddle, so peddle to the metel point
changes :)
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorrison View Post
That is just not true about using the max amps all the time.
If means you will get more amps with less peddle, so peddle to the metel point
changes :)
Hey Thanks!!

Someone told me that using the higher rated contoller (400amp vs. 225) would cause the battery to drain at the higher rate no matter what speed the cart was driven.
But when I questioned this party, and said that this didn't make a lot of sense to me, etc... he couldn't offer any explanation.

So, if what you say is true then switching out controllers might truly be the way to go... as when a person is driving around the links on a golf course... they won't be
using up any more of the battery than they were before. However, when the additional speed might be needed (on the roadway for example) it would be there and available.

So now, if a person were to switch to the Alltrax 400 programable Controller... (which looks to be a $500 item if my Googling is correct); do you know whether one has to
also upgrade the wiring and/or the rocker F/R switch..?? or will the standard wiring and F/R switch hold up under the new (higher amperage) load?

If anyone wants to weigh-in on this, please feel free to do so.

Thanks and Best Wishes!!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

http://www.cartszone.com/catalog/car...rchresults.htm
Old 01-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
Jsavorn
Not Yet Wild

I'm inbrhe same boat, I don't want the regen and was wondering if I should even get a bigger amp 700 or so. What about putting a 36 v engine with 48v batteries?
Jsavorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
dr.jim.b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile Re: High Speed Gears...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsavorn View Post
I'm inbrhe same boat, I don't want the regen and was wondering if I should even get a bigger amp 700 or so. What about putting a 36 v engine with 48v batteries?
Well... after doing quite a bit of investigating and research on this subject; I think I am going to remove my (48V REGEN IQ) motor
and send it off to a company in fort Wayne, Indiana called Electrical Motor Products, Inc to have them re-engineer it.

They claim (and guarantee) that they can & will redesign your existing motor so that you can put it back into your cart without changing
another single thing.. (NO NEW CONTROLLER - NO NEW WIRING - NO NEW F/R SWITCH - NOT A SINGLE THING).

Then, after you re-install it... your cart will go 23, 24 or even up to 26mph (YOU get to choose the top speed).

I have been in contact with a lady there named Andrea and she has been very helpful.

Price (if you send in your motor) appears to be $250 - If you just buy one from them... it is $400. Check it out.

Here's their website address: http://www.empinc.biz/index.php

Give it a look and see what you think!

Regards!!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car