lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
Linco3
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 par car backfire lack of power on inclines

Yes new plug, oil & fuel filter, cleaned fuel tank cleaned fuel bowl. Under load it pops, backfires sputters?? and when trying to run up a small incline it just wants to make it lack of power. On stands runs smooth starts right up. This is where I'll start I'm new to this forum so your input is really needed. Thank You.
Linco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1988 par car backfire lack of power on inclines

Welcome to the forum! I am not familiar with the later model carts but I will check the manual and see if I can help some. It may take a day or two to get back with you.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Linco3
Not Yet Wild

On pins & needles.. Thank You... I'll be waiting.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Check the compression.

Then check the timing.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colum...UTILITRUCK.pdf

Then remove the muffler and try it to see if the muffler is clogged up.

A new set of points and condensor is always a good thing to try.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Also the coil may be breaking down. If you decide to change the coil a Delco #1115238 might be the one to use. It is internal resistance compensated. To test your coil the primary should read 3.4 to 4.2 ohms and the secondary should read 6000 to 9000 ohms. as well as any new coil.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:15 AM   #6
Linco3
Not Yet Wild

Thank You, Ok... points were already changed to electronic, muffler my buddy also said that...only way to check is to cut in half? You agree? Will try coil this weekend.... I downloaded the manuals Thank You... could not find numbers for acceptable number on compression would you know??? Can't thank ya enough for helping......
Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I believe that year cart had the electronic ignition factory installed so it may not have ever had points. Don't quote me on that though.

Optimally, compression should be 90 psi or higher but anything over 80 will do. Less than than and your cart will have power issues like you are describing.

A couple of other things:

When those ignition modules are going bad they will cause a cart to backfire like that too as the spark is going in and out. As yours is running good on the flat that's probably not the issue though. Still, if you want to check it here is the test:

1) Remove the black wire from the ignition module, where it connects to the coil.
2) Connect the positive lead from the volt meter to the black wire.
3) Connect the negative lead from the volt meter to ground.
4) Remove the spark plug wire
5) Turn the meter on, set to the "diode" tester. It will either show a flashing number(open state) or a value around .55V. An "open state" (flashing number) shows that the transister is NOT conductng and needs replaced.
6) Turn the ignition key to ON. While watching the meter, turn the flywheel by hand. The value (.55V) should be on for approximately half the rotation and the "open state" (flashing number) for the other half of the rotation.

Last thing, it could be that your cart is delivering enough fuel for running on flat but when it needs more for the inclines it isn't delivering enough. If you are able to open it up on flat with no problems then maybe not but fuel pumps are pretty cheap and easy to install.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

the coil is the same for point or electronic ignition for your cart. I would also check for loose or corroded ground wires.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #9
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Look in the manual for testing the primary resistance of the coil and do that. Post back your readings.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Linco3
Not Yet Wild

Got a new coil yesterday.. I will keep you on updates... GREAT HELP & TIPS.. Thanks Guys!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar