lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Yamaha YDRE sometimes will not restart

Good Evening. A friend of mine has a 2008 Yamaha YDRE golf cart that sometimes will not restart after stopping to play a shot. Turning the Key Switch Off and back to On, operating the brake and accelerator pedals achieves nothing. The cart is put back into operation by switching the Tow switch Off and then back to On. The problem can occur sometimes once or twice per round and then disappear for a couple of rounds. The owner has asked me for some help and I will do so in a couple of days. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? Does this cart have a diagnostic mode that can be selected without having a programmer? If the answer to this question is Yes how is this done and where can I find the fault codes. Thanks for your help. Pat
patrickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 Yamaha YDRE sometimes will not restart

The Drive's (G29e's) are read with a "PDA" and "Genuis" software. You can read miles/hours/fault codes ect, but another feature is reading "status". In the status read mode it can tell you if the "stop switch" ect is not working. Althogh, an intermittent run/no run is only found in the no run situation. Might try this, remove the reuseable push pin rivets from the driverside floor mat, fold the floor mat to the passangerside and remove the metal brake/accelerator acsess panel. Disconect the stop switch from the wire harness and put a volt meters probes (set on continuity setting, a "beep" mode works well) into the stop switch plug. Push the pedal down several time and see if you have continuity every time, if not an intermittent stop switch. Hope that helped alittle. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your reply Small Block. When you say push the pedal to operate the stop switch are you talking about the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal? I have since sourced a wiring diagram of the YDRE and can see a limit switch on the accelerator only so I guess I have answered my own question. Anyway, it would be appreciated if you could confirm that you mean the accelerator pedal and its limit switch. Actually, I do not think the problem is due to a faulty accelerator limit switch because the only way the owner can get the cart to go is to turn the Tow switch OFF and then back to ON. I will do your check at the earliest opportunity. Thanks, Pat
Old 01-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

OK, today the cart was available for testing. I was able to confirm that the cart occasionally will not restart after stopping. On one occasion I was coasting to a stop when I decided that I needed to go a bit further and got no response from the accel. pedal. The battery charge indicator stayed on but when I selected reverse there was no buzzer. Reset via the Tow switch and drove home. I have since checked the accelerator limit switch by disconnecting the connector under the floor mat and checking with a digital multi meter set on the ohms scale. I operated the accelerator many times and the switch did not fail. I also checked that there was battery power on both sides of the Tow switch when the cart was in the fault condition. I have done a general check of the wiring and connections and as yet cannot see anything that would cause this problem. As the cart is still under warranty - the owner bought it 2nd hand from the local Yamaha dealer who is a motorcycle dealer and is just starting with golf carts - I am restricted in what I can do. The obvious thing to do is to take it back to the dealer but I do not think he has a PDA to read any diagnostic codes. I think I will go and have a chat to the dealer.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had a 6 seater YDRE that would quit during riding. Never quit when I rode it and it always run when I went to check it out. Checked everything and had controller rebuilt. Same problem. Finally changed solenoid and haven't heard from them since.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The whole "no reverse beeper during failure" has me thinking controller, but check F&R switch, and wiring.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your thoughts. It would be nice to know if there are any error codes. My next step is to again reset the motor control unit and this time leave the tow switch OFF for an extended period - maybe 30mins. I will then select REVERSE and then wriggle all the connections using the beeper to tell me if/when the controller shuts down - looking for loose connections that may be causing the controller to shutdown. I will also check that the solenoid is not getting coil power when the fault happens. I will also check out the operation of the throttle sensor. I believe YDRE throttle gives out a 0-5volt signal not 0 - 5k Ohms. Hopefully I can make contact with the pins at the rear of the 26 pin plug when it is plugged in. It does start to look like a faulty control unit. Pat
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The "Z-2" tester is much more handy for testing than the pda software ever was. Its a "breakout box" with leds to indicate all functions are ,or are not, working properly. Unfortunately, both the pda and the Z-2 are dealer items only.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. If I was really keen and the 26 pin pug and sockets were available I could build a break out box. I have the circuit diagram of the cart. I will be looking at the cart again today. Pat
Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #10
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Today I was able to have another go at finding the problem. I switched the Key and Tow switch to ON and RUN respectively and with REVERSE selected I spent the next half hour wriggling plugs and wiring, tapping switches and operating the accelerator pedal. No failures. I also used the cart to play 9 holes of golf. No failures. I also reviewed the resetting of the controller procedure.
The Yamaha manual states:- Key switch OFF, TOW switch to TOW, wait 30secs, Key switch ON, TOW switch to RUN. We may have been switching the TOW switch back to run too soon. All we can do now is wait and see how the cart performs. I will keep you posted. Pat
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha