lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Question G-19 fully charged - Suddenly died

Hey gang!

I fully charged my 1999 G-19 48v cart on friday night. Saturday afternoon I took it for a short 10 mintue drive around the campground. I stopped to talk to a friend ( and grab a "beverage" from him ), and when I went to pull away the cart lurched forward, and then stopped.

Switching to reverse, it lurched, and then stopped.
Switching back to forward - nothing - back to reverse - nothing

I towed the cart back and hooked it to the charger again hoping for the best. The next morning, same exact thing, lurch - lurch - nothing - nothing

I didn't have any tools with me at all but checking the wires from above everything seemed tight.

I'll admit it - I know NOTHING about these carts. My dad is a tv repair man and has an AWESOME set of tools, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at and what to look for.

Can anyone give me an ideal of what tools to take with me next weekend and what to check for?

Thanks guy's!
I've heard a lot of good things about this place.

Donny
Mayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
sivart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G-19 fully charged - Suddenly died

with a multimeter set to dc voltage check each battery in the group and see that each one has at least 8 volts showing if one in the chain has a shorted cell it will cause this.otherwise it sounds like a controller problem,wires,corrosion,ect.
sivart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivart View Post
with a multimeter set to dc voltage check each battery in the group and see that each one has at least 8 volts showing if one in the chain has a shorted cell it will cause this.otherwise it sounds like a controller problem,wires,corrosion,ect.
Thanks for your reply!
I did a test across all of the batteries and after being charged it showed 50V, so they should be fine - right?

The controller is fairly new. Is there a way to check it?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
sivart
Not Yet Wild

Not an easy way to tell on a controller.i can bench test it but i am set up for it.not very user friendly.have you checked the large solonoid that the controller hooks to.that could also be an issue, just use a screwdriver and short the two poles of the solonoid together and then step on the petal.if it runs you know its bad and needs replaced, would be a good idea to jack up the rear of the cart first and remove the seat completely. Hope this helps
Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
have you checked the large solonoid that the controller hooks to.that could also be an issue, just use a screwdriver and short the two poles of the solonoid together and then step on the petal.if it runs you know its bad and needs replaced, would be a good idea to jack up the rear of the cart first and remove the seat completely. Hope this helps
Ha - It's funny that you mentioned that. That was one of the things that I was suspecting, but not knowing anything about these carts I wasn't sure what it was. It LOOKED like a solenoid, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the tip on how to check it!

I've called a local cart repair shop and I'm going to have them pick it up. It sucks ... I'm generally pretty handy, but without a manual on the cart it's difficult. Does anyone know where I could find a manual on a G19?

I couple of things that were suggested as culprits:

1. Solenoid

2. Dead cell in the battery
Now here is where I kinda reach my limit. I was told that the batteries may test fine when fully charged ( which they do ), however under "load" one shorts out. I have no clue how to test each battery under load, so off it goes to the repair shop

3. There is some sort of throttle switch under the floorboard. Perhaps that's bad. ( again, no way for me to test )

4. Controller
My controller is new, however I have no way or no clue how to test it

They are picking it up on Thursday. I HATE admitting defeat so easily! A manual would make life so much easier
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
sivart
Not Yet Wild

Im sorry but i cant give any easy answers.it takes a while to figure these things out.but for $60 per hour at a repair shop id figure it out myself or sell it for scrap.just my opinion
Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Im sorry but i cant give any easy answers.it takes a while to figure these things out.but for $60 per hour at a repair shop id figure it out myself or sell it for scrap.just my opinion
Man I hope it's not too brutal. The cart is mint! I can't even imagine scrapping it right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08755.jpg (130.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
I couple of things that were suggested as culprits:

1. Solenoid

2. Dead cell in the battery
Now here is where I kinda reach my limit. I was told that the batteries may test fine when fully charged ( which they do ), however under "load" one shorts out. I have no clue how to test each battery under load, so off it goes to the repair shop

3. There is some sort of throttle switch under the floorboard. Perhaps that's bad. ( again, no way for me to test )

4. Controller
My controller is new, however I have no way or no clue how to test it

They are picking it up on Thursday. I HATE admitting defeat so easily! A manual would make life so much easier
FIRST AND FOREMOST....... JACK UP THE REAR END AND SUPPORT ON JACKSTANDS

1. Do NOT short across the top of it with a screwdriver..... make a "test" jumper from #6 wire and a pair of large spring clamps. Clam the jumper across the 2 large posts and step on the gas.

2. if you have a multimeter, get a small pair of alligator clips for the leads and individually clamp onto each battery and step on the gas. If the voltage on 1 of the batteries drops ALOT, then it is a bad battery. Personally I would clips them to the main pos and neg of the pack and do that test, unless you see a signifigant drop in the voltage don't bother testing the individual batteries.

3. It's called an accelerator stop switch. If you pull up the rubber mat, there is an access panel that can be removed. located between the accel and brake you will see a switch follow the wires back and you will come to a connector. Unplug the connector and (using another pair of small alligator clips) jumper across the 2 small pins located in the side of the plug that goes back to the battery compartment. push down on the gas, if it runs, you have a faulty Accel Stop Switch.

4. If you truely suspect a controller failure, let the Pros at the repair shop confirm it for you. $60 isn't that much to pay to have them confirm your controller is bad.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
sivart
Not Yet Wild

Im from the real world, i explained it so that all people would understand.
It seems that u are trying to make someone look stupid when in all i was doing was giving some free advice.so u take your #6 jumpers with aligator clips an stick them in your ---------------.there is no point being an ***.when you said the exact thing i already have.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Far be it for me to enter into a debate, but shorting across a solenoid with a screwdriver CAN cause sparks, the batteries release hydrogen gas during a charge cycle.... Sparks and a highly explosive gas causes injury. Just trying to explain a safer way to run the test you reccommended..... sorry you took it as a personal attack on you, but I didn't want to have the new member come back in a day or 2 and say he would have responded sooner but he was too busy getting the burns healed on his face.

I simply answered his latest post with responses designed to allow him to safely test his cart to determine the problem. I never called anyone stupid, nor did I make a personal attack on anyone's method. I am sure there are others out there that test in a different manner than I do and I am always willing to learn their method and if it is easier/better, I adopt it in my testing regime. As an open forum for giving advise, I feel that everyone has the right to give their opinions, sorry you seem to disagree with mine, have a good day sir.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha