lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Jc80
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 Club car carryall only starts when gas is barely pressed

I just got a 96 carryall with the fe290 engine. It turns over no matter how far the gas is pressed but only starts when it's hardly pressed. I can feather it and get it moving but as soon as you push the gas too far it dies. It has old gas in it and I have ordered a new carb, tune up kit and micro switches. Just wondering if it could be something other than that before I start working on it. I haven't even touched it yet
Jc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 Club car carryall only starts when gas is barely pressed

Sounds like your idle circuit is just barely working and the rest is plugged I've seen it many times just like you have now on old stuff to sitting for a long time.
]That old gas will give you a headache, get new fresh non ethanol premium in it for starters.
Some carb spray may clean it out but if not your choke or one of the circuits are probably plugged up with gunk. Then you will need to take it apart to clean, the rebuild kit is a good idea.
Check out your fuel filter to
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Jc80
Not Yet Wild

I'm going to change the gas and all the filters the spark plug and go through the carb. Just curious if it was some type of switch or something that could cause it.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'd drain the fuel, put in new fuel in tank, run new fuel through pump before you hook up to carb or you'll put old fuel into carb as there's still old fuel in pump and hoses, clean carb, add fuel filters, maybe replace fuel hoses and new spark plug and try again.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Jc80
Not Yet Wild

I think I will replace the lines. Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

carb is pluged up soak it if poss also check for loose trottle shaft if its bad carb sucks air and runs lean.we see that alot also by just touching the gas the gas motor cranks with trottle plate closed and it works like a choke open it up and you loose all the draw.if you need a new carb go with the oem you wont be sorry,we used to sell both others are junk
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Jc80
Not Yet Wild

I couldn't pass up the $14 ebay carb but I'm sure it's gonna be trouble and I'll end up with an OEM carb. I couldn't really find a rebuild kit for the factory one. I haven't had time to start on this thing yet but am hoping to get to it tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Have had the same issue with these. Everyone above has given you excellent advice. Do what they say and should clear it up. Just a suggestion, I prefer the starting with the keyswitch and not by pedal on these.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
Jc80
Not Yet Wild

How do you start them with the key? This one only says on and off on the key and won't turn past on as far as I can tell. Just out of curiosity does anyone know why the passenger armrest is curved down on these
Old 02-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc80 View Post
I just got a 96 carryall with the fe290 engine. It turns over no matter how far the gas is pressed but only starts when it's hardly pressed. I can feather it and get it moving but as soon as you push the gas too far it dies. It has old gas in it and I have ordered a new carb, tune up kit and micro switches. Just wondering if it could be something other than that before I start working on it. I haven't even touched it yet
"It turns over no matter how far the gas is pressed..."

These can be wired to TURN OVER and start like a cart on the golf course by the pedal, or wired to start by the key switch. Your pressing the gas should have nothing to do with it turning over if it starts by the key. I could be wrong but all of them I have owned and used were one or the other. Just trying to help.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car