lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Cloth electrical tape

I didn't think about cloth electrical tape for wiring harnesses until Ant used it on Wheeler Dealers Ford Bronco project. I can see my carts wiring looking slightly better.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cloth electrical tape

Never thought of cloth tape. Have used cloth covered wire on restorations, or horking the fiberglass covered wire out of electric stoves. It looks good and is very heat resistant too. I DO however use self vulcanizing [also known as linesman tape] for sheaths or joints I can't shrink wrap. That is awesome stuff. I have use it on submersible pump wiring [underwater] for over 15 years without water intrusion or corrosion. It does make very nice whips that will never come unglued, if fact you have to cut it with a knife to get it off.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Never thought of cloth tape. Have used cloth covered wire on restorations, or horking the fiberglass covered wire out of electric stoves. It looks good and is very heat resistant too. I DO however use self vulcanizing [also known as linesman tape] for sheaths or joints I can't shrink wrap. That is awesome stuff. I have use it on submersible pump wiring [underwater] for over 15 years without water intrusion or corrosion. It does make very nice whips that will never come unglued, if fact you have to cut it with a knife to get it off.
Good to know - thanks!
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I didn't think about cloth electrical tape for wiring harnesses until Ant used it on Wheeler Dealers Ford Bronco project. I can see my carts wiring looking slightly better.
See you changed your avatar (?) Or, I haven’t been paying attention. Nothing new there !
Nice scooter -
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That was my original avatar hence RAYDHD. Building it was a bucket list project. The Cape Ray lighthouse is up for the season here which is coming to the close.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Is that the same as the self fusing silicone tape ?
Old 10-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I know that I am a little off topic but one of the best products I've seen for really sealing up a connection is 3m Cold Shrink. We used to use it to seal electrical barrel connectors on the exposed weather decks on Navy ships and exposed missile canisters. Not cheap, but very effective and actually removable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I use this stuff from 3M/Scotch ,its a rubbery type of black tape,that only sticks to itself,works awesome for harnesses,and doesnt let moisture in easily.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I will have to upgrade to that for here with all the salt water that gets all over both carts electrical systems.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

This stuff is pretty awesome, I've used it a lot. be warned it's pricey... https://www.wurthusa.com/Shop-Suppli...-Ft/p/19850771

However, having said that, I HATE working on wire harnesses that are taped. The nasty gooey black mess you get all over your hands is a major PITA not only because of the mess, but also because you often have to clean the wires to determine what color they are. Wires are sealed by nature, so the only points you really have to worry about corrosion are splices and connection points.

In the automotive world, a ring of tape every 6-8" is perfectly sufficient and then protect the harness with split loom. This makes servicing it a lot easier several years down the road. Especially down in the south where heat and humidity break the adhesive in the tape down into that nasty gooey mess.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop