lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
robmc5
Not Yet Wild

Default EXGO TXT - Rear passenger side wheel not turning.

I am a pretty avid reader of this forum and its help me a lot on my previous cart, but I usually found my answer or at least got me going in the right direction but I have issue that I need some help.

Ok, the title does not tell the whole story. I have a 2012 (I think) Beast 48, basically a EZGO TXT. The right side rear was not turning, usually a stripped hub or shaft, I pulled them out and the shaft and the hub looked fine. I did replace the seal and the bearing, the bearing had come completely apart, and the seal was pretty much gone. I checked ran an Endoscope into the differential and the grooves looked good from what I can see but when I run it with no hubs I can grab the axleshaft and hold it easily. I am not sure where to look next, I am more of a DIY'er than a mechanic.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by robmc5; 10-20-2021 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: text change
robmc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
robmc5
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EXGO TXT - Rear passenger side wheel not turning.

Well I checked the other side and same issue, I can hold the wheel when its running, I am guessing its where the motor meets the differential???
Old 10-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The differential is supposed to allow the wheels to spin at different rates than one another. It's an open diff, so with the cart jacked up you can stop one side and the other side will spin. That's what allows you to take corners well since the wheel on the inside of the arc needs to turn slower than the wheel on the outside of the arc in a corner.

When you put the cart back on the ground does it present you with any issues? Because what I think I read sounds normal.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If you run it and grab one side watch to see if the other side speeds up. That will tell you the "open" differential is working and unless you have issues with wheels on and driving, I would say you are good to go.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
robmc5
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies, the problem is that when I press the gas its not moving at all but I hear the motor running. With the wheels and hubs off and I press the gas I can hold the drive shaft and stop it from moving even though I hear the motor running, I can do this with both sides. I am thinking the motor input drive shaft?
Old 10-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

are we talking electric cart? No exposed driveshaft on electric carts?
Electric cart txt motor bolted directly to differential, no driveshaft 🤔
Unsure what kind of cart you have😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

CAREFULLY try this: leave one wheel / tire on the ground and jack up just the one other side till that second tire is off the ground. With that first tire held still on the ground see what you have on the other side. Does the tire off the ground turn with force then? With the wheel cover or center cap off, does the wheel and hub hold with the axle shaft then? As mentioned previously the differential will allow what amounts to one wheel drive - either wheel.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Sounds like if you are able to hold both axles still while the motor turns I would pull the motor and check the coupling.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Another option would be to pull the differential cover off and see if the gears inside are turning when you step on the pedal before pulling the motor. You'll need 2 people for this.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
robmc5
Not Yet Wild

I really appreciate all the help, it seems to be working now. I think the problems was partly my lack of knowledge and a bad wheel bearing/seal. I was just confused how the bearing being completely gone and the bad seal would make the cart not move when the motor was running, but after replacing hose parts it seem to be working fine now.

I was curious how I could hold the drive shaft while the motor was running, but I guess that is normal. When I hold it the other wheel keeps spinning. I may need to do some research on how the differential works.

Thanks again for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO