lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Gas ATV to Electric?

I know there's a lot of threads on here about converting carts from electric to gas, using ATV and motorcycle engines. My question is, has anyone ever converted a gas ATV to an electric?

My father-in-law has a Suzuki Quadrunner 250 with a bad top end. So, I was wondering how hard it would be to convert it to electric, so I could take it hunting. I used to run golf cats, but they require a trailer to get out there and are heavy. This would be a lighter option that can fit in the bed of the truck. Just curious if anyone has done anything like this for a shaft driven ATV.
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas ATV to Electric?

I've never seen one on here, maybe try an atv forum site? Sounds cool though.

I would think an electric golf cart drive system in an atv would be too large and heavy. Not saying it couldn't be done, but probably more effort and money than it's worth. It would be an engineering marvel.

I do know there are electric motorcycles, maybe look at how those are done? See if you can source any of those parts?

Oh, and golf carts fit in the bed of trucks too....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My plan would be to just run the bare bones of the golf cart system, probably using 12v batteries instead of 6v, which should save at least 300lbs. I wouldnt get the same run-time, but I dont need more than a few minutes to get to my stand and back. Thinking that the motor and batteries wouldnt be much heavier than the engine and transmission thats in it, but I dont know for sure. Was hoping that someone had found a coupler that would adapt the output shaft on the electric motor to the input shaft on the rear diff.
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Here is a conversion that I came across that is interesting: http://www.evalbum.com/4539

I have a 1996 Polaris quad that I would also like to convert to electric ... it is a two stroke ... noisy and smelly but it would be great to convert it to electric ... I have added it to my bucket list but that is about all the progress I have made so far.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhuck View Post
My plan would be to just run the bare bones of the golf cart system, probably using 12v batteries instead of 6v, which should save at least 300lbs. I wouldnt get the same run-time, but I dont need more than a few minutes to get to my stand and back. Thinking that the motor and batteries wouldnt be much heavier than the engine and transmission thats in it, but I dont know for sure. Was hoping that someone had found a coupler that would adapt the output shaft on the electric motor to the input shaft on the rear diff.
It could be done fairly simply the issue i see and thought about is the drivetrain. Going direct drive with chain and sprockets it probably the easiest. It comes with the draw back of no gear reduction or multiplication. In my opinion reduction is probably the most important especially when off road. Im building a renli offroad electric buggy and the low gears are amazing off road pulls very little amps and will climb anything as long as you have the traction. On road is a different story my top speed is probably gonna end up being about 50mph maybe more if I can get enough volts to the motor. In all reality tho 50 is plenty.

Where I'm going with this is. The use of a golfcart rear-end could make life really easy you move the motor out of the way for your battery pack to fit and with the right choice axle you could get 2 speeds and limited slip diff. Take it a step further and get a 2 speed motor. Another huge plus in my opinion is the sealed drive components. No chains no sprockets just a sealed diff with very low maintenance and its ultra quiet. Chain and sprocket noise on electric anything is very annoying!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:56 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are electric ATV's & UTV's on the market. So it should certainly be possible, but may take some trial and error to get the gear ratio's right.
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-ev/
https://razor.com/products/electric-...dirt-quad-500/
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:37 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAmore View Post
I think the best way to solve the recharge problem is to have petrol stations stock pre charged batteries that can be swapped out for your empty one.

One question I do have though is where does the electricity to power these electric cars come from? Much of the time it comes from burning fossil fuels.
I know you're probably just a troll, but this question points out the idiocy of the left. Electric cars=good, fossil fuel=bad...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!