lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
Kld2020
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie 48V to Lithium 72V with Teekon

Hey all,
Brand new to the golf cart game. I picked up an 01 DS. I am going to swap to Lithium and a Teekon AC conversion for sure. I will use Extreme team Lithium battery. As i was searching the batteries i noticed they have a 72V battery. I figure i may as well just make that jump. I have contacted Teekon to double check to make sure they are compatible with 72V. Im not to worried about having to fab up some bracketry to make the 72V fit in the cart. it also appears that ET sells a charger that works with their 72V, making that part of the puzzle easy.

My question is,
What supporting components do i need to upgrade to handle the 72V. I have spent numerous hours researching this but im always left confused.
Kld2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie 48V to Lithium 72V with Teekon

To upgrade voltage you *normally* need charger, batteries, cables, controller, solenoid.

Your upgrade to AC will include a new motor and controller.
Your battery will include a charger.
I bet Teekon/Silverwolf can provide you the solenoid. Their controller is supposedly an 840 amp controller so they should have what you need to support that.
Additionally you'll want to get 2G or 1G cables to deal with that current.

Also, you need to talk with Teekon/Silverwolf or Extreme Team to see what amp load the battery will really see and if the BMS built into the battery can provide that much current.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Kld2020
Not Yet Wild

The battery is good for 350A peak (5sec) and 200A continous.

What solenoid are you referring to?
What about FNR switch?
What about key ignition?
Old 09-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The main battery solenoid. When you hit the GO pedal you hear the click noise, that's the solenoid closing. It provides a disconnect from the battery and is controlled by the controller. They generally run about $100 and up for the type you need.

The key ignition shouldn't need upgrading, but you may want to get one because the stock keys are all keyed alike. So any Club Car key will work in your DS. So it's a security issue not a voltage issue.

The AC kit should include the F-N-R switch since your DS probably has a big lever instead of a little switch. If it doesn't include the switch then they may have sent you the wrong kit. I'd call them and find out.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, solenoids are voltage specific so a 48v solenoid won't work on a 72v cart. Here are some of the solenoids at a vendor that supports this forum and has great customer service. These are 36 and 48V solenoids but he can likely get any solenoid you need.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/solenoids.html
Old 09-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Also, solenoids are voltage specific so a 48v solenoid won't work on a 72v cart. Here are some of the solenoids at a vendor that supports this forum and has great customer service. These are 36 and 48V solenoids but he can likely get any solenoid you need.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/solenoids.html
If the OP goes with a Navitas AC system, the controller can be set to output a different voltage to the solenoid than total pack voltage (i.e. in a 72v system solenoid coil can be set for 48v).

I have an Albright 400A that is 48v and I use it with a 72v lithium setup, with appropriate settings as above for the coil (the controller defaults to 48v for the coil, even if you select 72v as system voltage, to prevent damage).
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
Kld2020
Not Yet Wild

my DS has a push button switch, not a big lever. I will confirm with Silverwolf about the switch when i order.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #8
Kld2020
Not Yet Wild

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a push button FNR switch compatible with a 72v system. Or is my stock button sufficient
Old 09-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
Kld2020
Not Yet Wild

fstop, thanks for the info. I was debating about the navitas system, but i went with the teekon. it should be here any day now.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #10
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kld2020 View Post
fstop, thanks for the info. I was debating about the navitas system, but i went with the teekon. it should be here any day now.
That one may allow the same thing - not sure though.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium