lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2023, 05:11 PM   #1
bcarr
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger makes rattling sound

2008 Club Car Precedent bought in 2012: Upon plugging in charger just recently it will make a loud fast-pitched rattling sound that will subside into normal buzzing sound gradually over 10 to 15 minutes. This occurs with each of 3 chargers in my barn when plugged into this cart. Does not happen with the other 2 Precedents. I feel like this cart somehow is making the chargers overwork but not really sure. Could the OBC on this cart be the problem?
bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2023, 06:45 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Charger makes rattling sound

Not the OBC. All it does is turn the charger on or off. Unless it's cycling on/off to cause the rattle, it's not the OBC. Make sure that the current isn't going way up and down when it's rattling. (switching on and off) Check all battery connections carerfully.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:57 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Not likely.
What is the pack voltage 12 hours after a full charge, and what is the voltage of each battery individually?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:59 PM   #4
bcarr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Not the OBC. All it does is turn the charger on or off. Unless it's cycling on/off to cause the rattle, it's not the OBC. Make sure that the current isn't going way up and down when it's rattling. (switching on and off) Check all battery connections carerfully.
Current is pegged to max, no fluctuation, no on and off. Will check pack and individual battery voltage. Will check battery connections

Thanks for replies
Old 05-17-2023, 06:40 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm betting you got the PowerDrive 3 charger. When they come on they have a hard kick to them and when pegged at the ammeter it sounds like it's rattling (It's usually the needle of the ammeter vibrating). It's normal. Scared me the first few times when they started becoming common, as I'm used to how quiet the PowerDrive 2 was.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:25 PM   #6
bcarr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
I'm betting you got the PowerDrive 3 charger. When they come on they have a hard kick to them and when pegged at the ammeter it sounds like it's rattling (It's usually the needle of the ammeter vibrating). It's normal. Scared me the first few times when they started becoming common, as I'm used to how quiet the PowerDrive 2 was.

this loud rattling just started after several years of ownership and affects all 3 chargers which is why I'm concerned. The other 2 carts don't have this affect on the chargers but thanks for chiming in.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:01 PM   #7
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Charger makes rattling sound

Try resetting the OBC. Unhook the main negative for 15-20min and rehooking up. Maybe check the charge receptacle wires for corrosion as well and the little grey wire, make sure it doesn’t come out with a little tug, they are known for corrosion.

Not sure any of this will work but might be worth trying.

Also what is the pack voltage? If it’s low it’s gonna stay pegged . And is the battery water level good?
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:21 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarr View Post
this loud rattling just started after several years of ownership and affects all 3 chargers which is why I'm concerned. The other 2 carts don't have this affect on the chargers but thanks for chiming in.
Right, which is why I suggested this is a battery issue. Possibly a shorted cell, or if any work has been done to the cart recently a battery is not connected properly in the series. Need to know the actual pack voltage and the voltage of each individual battery to go much further.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car