lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #101
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Marathon...Kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmia96 View Post
When I was talking about the spark I was talking about the Large Post hitting the small one with a wrench and it made a small spark. I took the diode and resistor off and the cart is still a snail. It was a typo, I wanted to say M- and B-. When I set my tester to 10k and put the testers leads in the 2 pot box wires the meter on my tester flys to the top and the pedal does nothing to affect it when pushing the pedal.
Something isn't right about the Ohm reading you're getting.
I believe you are using an analog Ohmmeter, so there should be a 0 (zero) at one side and figure 8 laying on its side (Infinity symbol) at the other.

When the test leads are not attached to the wirews to the Potentiometer, it should read Infinity.
When you attach the leads to the potentiometer wires (they must be disconnected from controller), the needle should deflect towards 0 or stay at Infinity.
If the needle deflects past infinity, there is voltage on the wires you are attaching the ohmmeter leads to.

Are you sure you are measuring the ohms on the correct set of wires?
Here is a drawing of the controller terminals, it is shown upside down on the schematic.

All three wires with the small push on connectors go to the pot box.
The top one in the drawing goes to the microswitch.
The other two go to the pot and may alos be connected to a microswitch on the F/R assembly.

---------
Also, if the voltage between M- and B- decreases when the pedal is pushed, the potentiometer is working.

-----------
Have you measured the battery pack voltage when the pedal is pushed?
That will tell us if the batteries are failing under load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis 1204 terminals.JPG (11.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #102
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I will go do that right now.
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #103
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes I am using an analog meter. My total pack voltage is exactly 40 Volts. When I jack up the cart and floor it my total pack voltage is 40v exactly. That tests out great. What should I try next?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #104
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok let me go retry testing the pot box again. I know I have the right wires they are coming right out of the pot. One is white and 1 is black.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #105
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, I have some information for you. On the left side of the tester is the infinity symbol. All the way to the right is 0 omhs. When I hook my tester up to the black/white wire coming from the pot box it starts at the infinity symbol and slowly moves down to zero on the other end. When I push the gas pedal the meter stops moving and when I let go of the pedal it continues to move down to zero.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #106
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

By the way I got the ezgo txt powerwise charger working with my marathon. It works great

Matt
Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #107
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmia96 View Post
Ok, I have some information for you. On the left side of the tester is the infinity symbol. All the way to the right is 0 omhs. When I hook my tester up to the black/white wire coming from the pot box it starts at the infinity symbol and slowly moves down to zero on the other end. When I push the gas pedal the meter stops moving and when I let go of the pedal it continues to move down to zero.
I'm sorry Matt , I wish I could help but, I can't make anything out of this. I use a digital meter for testing and the reading should be 0-5k ohms
Harbor freight sells DVMs for as little as $7
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #108
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think when this Cart Is fixed I will get a digital Multimeter. To make it easy when I test my pot Box it just drops right down to 0 OHMS.

I'm going to make a guess and say that is bad. Everything else on the Cart tests out Great, Controller, Motor, F&R, Solenoid, Microswitches, Everything is wired Nice and tight, No Corrosion, all 4 gauge wiring, No heat ANYWHERE on the cart.

It did this same thing back on August 1st. I let it sit for 2 Months drove it 3 days ago went great, Thursday afternoon sluggish again. I think what might have happened is all the power drained out of the Pot/Controller and I was able to drive it temporally. I unplugged the Pot hopping the power will drain out of it and it will run tomorrow. IDK we will see.

But scotty, does 0 OHMs with or without pressing the pedal sound like a bad pot to you?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #109
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Probably a long shot and just shooting from the hip here, but by chance does your meter have more than two places to insert the test leads?
Reason is I've seen meters (especially analog and very cheap digitals) where you have to change one of the leads to measure/test continuity.

pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #110
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Probably a long shot and just shooting from the hip here, but by chance does your meter have more than two places to insert the test leads?
Reason is I've seen meters (especially analog and very cheap digitals) where you have to change one of the leads to measure/test continuity.

pg might be onto something? Stuff just isn't adding up.

With your pedal at rest as in zero throttle, you should be reading 0 ohms on the meter. As you slowly push on the pedal your meter should slowly and steadily climb up towards 5-6k Ohms. Then after releasing pressure on the pedal your meter should drop back to 0
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO