lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 295 Rebuild

Hey guys, well the hunting season is over with here in Kansas and brought the cart back home. Towards the end of the season the cart kept getting lower and lower on power. Checked the valves and they seemed alright. So then came the real test, Compression!! Yep its what it is 60lbs on both cylinders!

What's the luck of tearing the girl down and honing the cylinders and re-using the old crank??? Never been into this engine before and was planning on putting new pistons and rings and rebuilding the head. Do these cranks ever wear down much or do you have to rebore these engines much?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Oh and to bring on more bad luck I missed the big buck this year!!!
98 EZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 295 Rebuild

Cylinder boring is just dependant on the wear of the cylinder. If the specs show the condition of the engine to be out of tolerance then cutting the cylinder is the only way out. A machine shop will check the bore for abnormal shape and measurements and give you some direction. On the crank, my engine builder usually refits the rods to the crank if possible. The crank, unless damaged, is usually fine. The aluminum rod usually gives before the crank does.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info ez go go I will be sure to have it checked out!!

I have noticed alot of oil in the air cleaner box.

I plan on tearing it down this wknd and will let you know what I find out! I might even get some pics on the girl!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Pay close attention to the cam side of the rocker arms on the head.
They are prone to wear. Machinist can Mic you crank when he does your cylinder bore.
The rebuild is a very straight forward job but a manual will help O-plenty.
It will also have the service limits or wear tolerances for the crankshaft and cylinder bore to take to the machinist with you.

Even if it looks like this:

It can turn out like this:

crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That engine looks pretty sweet Crash!!! I never thought of painting up the tin like that, but it just gave me an idea! Thanks for the help!

I plan on tearing it down this sunday and checking out the damage report. I will post some pics and let everyone know!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well boys and girls, I have found the culprit!! Tore the engine down on sunday afternoon when it was 61 degrees in Kansas in January and should be out enjoying the weather instead!

The Intake valves were almost sucked up into the head!! If I was to run it this summer it probably would of ate them! The exhaust valves are all corrided up and weren't even seating like they should. I did take some pictures but I can't seem to get them to download. As soon as I do I will post for everyone to see!

The pistons were all clean and actually the looked like they just came out of the box.

Thinking about boring her out and going big while she is torn down!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

At the least I would have it checked to see if it needed to be bored. With oil in the air cleaner box, cylinder wear is most likely.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

With the 295 I have seen you can bore .025, or .050. Does a person really gain much with the .050 bore or is he just wasting his time. I can see it benfiting a bigger engine with more of a stroke and larger bore to start with.

Just a question to ponder on??
Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Made it into the shop over a very cold Kansas weekend. Found the top ring on the piston closest to the drive clutch busted. Cylinders still measured within specs so looks like I will get by with a hone job and some new rings and on the bottom end and valves and gasket kit on the top end.

Am I correct by saying you can't retorque these rods after you have had them loose??

Still trying to figure out to get pics loaded for everyone to see!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If they check out you can reuse/retorque them but follow the manual directions on cleaning and installing the rods/caps back in it.
Some go together dry while some use a light oil on the threads before retorque, I just can't remember without checking the manual.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO