lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #21
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV won't release brake after Danaher to Curtis Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
Bob & Friends:

I removed and and reinstalled the new motor brake. While I had it off I checked the resistance of the coil. It was about 26.5 ohms, or 1 ohm greater than the 25.5 ohms in the book.

I checked the resistance of the old brake. Got the same 26.0 or so ohms. So it appears at least the old brake was electrically in tact.

I rewired the whole cart after playing with the run plug. The harness I received from ezgo was for the Danaher controller, so I respliced the correct white wire and the orange speed sensor wire. I checked my splices between the motor and the controller with my ohm meter. They are reading .1 ohms of resistance.

With the new wiring the cart will twitch but not jerk.

I re-ran the voltage and ohm tests at the motor brake, the pack voltage, Solenoid, throttle and brake. The only thing I found was about 7 ohms resistance in brake switch. I replaced the switch. The new switch was showing an ohm of resistance. That did eliminate the HDP/Sequencing error. The controller keeps the brake lights on and the brake set. However the throttle will now engage and the cart will move very slowly. It's obvious the brake is not releasing completely. can flip the cart into tow mode and I can push it around my driveway.

So I'm making the assumption my remanufactured controller was bad from FSIP. However I have a few questions.

1) Is the motor brake set by 0 volts or 48 volts? I've been assuming it needed the 48 volts to release the brake. I basically have pack voltage to the motor brake connector when in Tow Mode.
2) I've got the ezgo voltage converter installed in this cart and the lights, stereo, USB plug all run off of 12 volts from this converter. I thought I saw some posts about a cart having issues like this when the converter/reducer was installed, but now I can't find those posts. Was that a figment of my imagination?

One final note. The 350 Amp controller I originally miswired. When I put it back in the cart, it would release the brake, but no throttle. I could role the cart around in run mode, and press the brake pedal until the brake switch opened and it would set the brake.

I would like to verify I haven't missed anything before I try a third controller. Can you tell me if I'm missing something? Is there anything else besides brake issues that can fry a controller? Does it sound like I cleared everything?

Thanks
Keith
Yes, 7 ohms on the brake switch at the brake coil current could trip the HPD/Sequencing error. Now check your switch on the throttle pedal, and check your run plug. You may want to check the connections on the 4 wire plug and socket at the motor speed sensor unit. There are two of them in that assembly. If one or both are not connected or working right, the controller will go into limp mode, and move very slow. Try to be absolutely sure before you return the FSIP controller for replacement. You ARE making progress.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #22
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK finally have some consistent behavior. Got my new 350 amp controller today. It behaves exactly the same as the remanufactured Curtis controller from FSIP. (So my trust level in what the remanufactured controller is telling me went way up.)

Cart runs very slow for a couple of feet & stops. It feels like something is binding but the only thing that was changed was the brake. Put the old brake back on. Same symptom. Curtis Handheld shows past error of "Stall Detected / Encoder Fault." Shows the same error on my new 350 AMP controller and the remanufactured 235 AMP controller.

(We'll just call this a 4 digit screw up.....)

Bearing Encoder? It's the only thing left besides the motor that hasn't been replaced.....

Gonna look at the connectors to the motor again tomorrow. Is it possible the Curtis controllers don't like the old bearing encoder??? They haven't liked anything else on this cart!!!!

FYI the power on jerk is now a bit of a twitch.

Lesson learned: A cart with 1400 hours on it (according to the Danaher) is probably not a good choice to trick out and try to upgrade.

Maybe I should have waited for the Navitas.....

BOB & CGTECH, what am I missing?

(If nothing else - anyone in the Texas / Oklahoma / Arkansas / Louisiana / Missouri / Kansas area look me up if you need help trouble shooting on an RXV. I think I've now been through it all.....)
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #23
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
OK finally have some consistent behavior. Got my new 350 amp controller today. It behaves exactly the same as the remanufactured Curtis controller from FSIP. (So my trust level in what the remanufactured controller is telling me went way up.)

Cart runs very slow for a couple of feet & stops. It feels like something is binding but the only thing that was changed was the brake. Put the old brake back on. Same symptom. Curtis Handheld shows past error of "Stall Detected / Encoder Fault." Shows the same error on my new 350 AMP controller and the remanufactured 235 AMP controller.

(We'll just call this a 4 digit screw up.....)

Bearing Encoder? It's the only thing left besides the motor that hasn't been replaced.....

Gonna look at the connectors to the motor again tomorrow. Is it possible the Curtis controllers don't like the old bearing encoder??? They haven't liked anything else on this cart!!!!

FYI the power on jerk is now a bit of a twitch.

Lesson learned: A cart with 1400 hours on it (according to the Danaher) is probably not a good choice to trick out and try to upgrade.

Maybe I should have waited for the Navitas.....

BOB & CGTECH, what am I missing?

(If nothing else - anyone in the Texas / Oklahoma / Arkansas / Louisiana / Missouri / Kansas area look me up if you need help trouble shooting on an RXV. I think I've now been through it all.....)
Yea, sounds like the motor speed encoder might be your issue. The Curtis controllers work just fine with the bearing encoder. My 2008 RXV has the bearing encoder, and it works just fine with my Curtis controller. It never had any issue at all when I did the Curtis controller conversion. It was the RXV that I used to document my conversion in this thread...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ocumented.html

Bob
Old 05-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #24
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bob:

Just to make sure, the term Motor Speed Encoded and bearing encoder are the same thing? My service manual calls it the Bearing Encoder in the title and the encoder bearing in the installation instructions.

Just don't want to make another mistake.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #25
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes and this is what he is talking about.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ENCODER-RXV MOTOR ENCODER BEARING.pdf (36.2 KB, 0 views)
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #26
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Yes and this is what he is talking about.
Yes, one and the same as for function. The early ones were bearing related, later ones were much easier to replace. Both are usable with either controller.

Bob
Old 06-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #27
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bob& Friends:

Final post!!!!

Replaced the bearing encoder, and cart works perfectly. Reprogrammed the 350 Amp controller for freedom mode and enabled it. Got the requisite 4 beeps.

Hopped in & stepped on the accelerator. Popped a wheelie.

Thanks again for your help & advice.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #28
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bob& Friends:

Final post!!!!

Replaced the bearing encoder, and cart works perfectly. Reprogrammed the 350 Amp controller for freedom mode and enabled it. Got the requisite 4 beeps.

Hopped in & stepped on the accelerator. Popped a wheelie.

Thanks again for your help & advice.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #29
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok I lied. Final, final post.

Getting 21 MPH. in a golf cart friendly community, where the vehicle speed limit is 20, i’m happy. Not slowing up the cars & trucks

(Unless they’re sppeding.....)
Old 06-05-2018, 04:21 AM   #30
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok I lied. Final, final post.

Getting 21 MPH. in a golf cart friendly community, where the vehicle speed limit is 20, i’m happy. Not slowing up the cars & trucks

(Unless they’re sppeding.....)
LOL

You have the ability and the power, just a matter of programming.

Tags
brake no release, controller issues, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO