lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 Columbia Car Par questions

Well its still sputtering and lacking power. After all that work now it runs slower than before haha.

Probably needs the top end done. What is some advice for rebuilding the top end?
monacayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Take it apart and what see is broken or worn and measure where you are bore wise.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #13
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Tested the compression. 90 psi on the dot.

The golf cart will rev high on stands if you barely press the gas. Any further and it starts stumbling. Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yst8JLoYtEI

When you drive it on the ground you can only press the gas pedal about halfway or it bogs and wont rev higher. If you ease up on the pedal it starts to go faster to about 8 mph on flat. Clogged muffler or carb issues still maybe? IDK

Noticed that the fan has broken blades on it...lol
Old 07-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It sounds all mechanically rough. Have you looked to see if your reed valve between the carb and crankcase is in tact ?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

No I did not do that. I did not find that as a common issue so I never thought about it.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #16
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

The reed valve is not the original brass. It was replaced with a stainless one, 5 or so of the petals have a gap about the size of the tip of a pen. Guessing that is enough to cause my issue? Manual says must be fully seated.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #17
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have found that the reeds can have just a bit of space in the leafs. By space I mean a sheet of paper thick. The reverse pressure from the upstroke will slam it shut. 5 the size of the tip of a pen might be too much.

You can run that with the muffler off for troubleshooting. It'll be loud and you cant keep it that way as the muffler is needed to maintain proper vacuum levels.

Did you adjust your carb's mix screw at all? You could be flooding. Pull the plug and look for wet after you bog. Really, that carb may need rebuilt or replaced. Come to think of it, if that carb is an orginal Walbro I think those had two jets in the them, high speed and low speed. You may only be hitting the low speed one. I don't like that set up so switch to carbs with just one jet and speed circuit.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #18
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

In still have the original set of brass ones from my 82 harley/columbia and they sit closed. I am not a harley expert but I think the width of a pen tip is not good enough.If that were my cart I would pull the cylinder off and check the crank for any roughness or excessive side play on the rod. That engine did not sound good unless it the clutch masking all that mechanical noise.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #19
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Took the muffler off again, no change.

All that noise starts when you try to rev it up. If its on the ground with me trying to ride it it sounds normal until it it sputters.

I tried moving the crank around after I took the reed valve off did not have any play side to side from there.

Maybe I will try a new ezgo carb from ebay and reed leaf and if that's not it I'm giving up before wasting more money.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #20
monacayankee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I have found that the reeds can have just a bit of space in the leafs. By space I mean a sheet of paper thick. The reverse pressure from the upstroke will slam it shut. 5 the size of the tip of a pen might be too much.

You can run that with the muffler off for troubleshooting. It'll be loud and you cant keep it that way as the muffler is needed to maintain proper vacuum levels.

Did you adjust your carb's mix screw at all? You could be flooding. Pull the plug and look for wet after you bog. Really, that carb may need rebuilt or replaced. Come to think of it, if that carb is an orginal Walbro I think those had two jets in the them, high speed and low speed. You may only be hitting the low speed one. I don't like that set up so switch to carbs with just one jet and speed circuit.
Its the Walbro-10 carb.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar