lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
Mattydiem
Not Yet Wild

Default isolate 48v to 12v converter to protect controller

I have a 48v to 12v converter/reducer. I intend to power it from a switched relay. I'm told that sometimes that when these things go they can damage the expensive controller. Is there a way to add a diode or rectifier to the circuit to protect the controller and the 48v side of the cart?
Mattydiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: isolate 48v to 12v converter to protect controller

Never herd of that, but it could be possible if someone hooked something up wrong I suppose.
Don't ground anything to the frame. Electric carts can not have ANY frame grounding otherwise you can end up with backfeeding and voltage leaking between 12v and 48v circuits and that will almost always lead to failure of electronic parts and possibly fires.
Any grounding must be to an isolated ground block connected to the battery pack negative or Controller B- terminal.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would just fuse the main powerline. Using a relay to turn it on/off will give you protection on the switch wire.
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Never herd of that, but it could be possible if someone hooked something up wrong I suppose.
Don't ground anything to the frame. Electric carts can not have ANY frame grounding otherwise you can end up with backfeeding and voltage leaking between 12v and 48v circuits and that will almost always lead to failure of electronic parts and possibly fires.
Any grounding must be to an isolated ground block connected to the battery pack negative or Controller B- terminal.
Not to mention potentially zapping you if you touch the chassis wrong. 48v ain’t gonna kill you but it’ll tickle…
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Believe it or not, under the right conditions, 48V can kill you. I have been zapped by 12V when working in salt water. For a converter, you should fuse the input and output.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:25 AM   #6
MWC "married w/ children"
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I just had my converter go out last week! Replaced it with a cheap "amazon" china model. Needless to say I must have wired it backwards. Smoke was coming from battery area. I quickly took the fuse out of my controller and disconnected the converter. At which time smoke was still coming from dash. Opened dash panel to see a fire! ALL wires were burnt!! I just finished re-wiring the cart last night. Now need to find a decent converter again. This was on a 2010 Zone cart. That has already had the inboard charger removed. Because of the potential of a fire... LOL
MWC "married w/ children" is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car